Red Tea Metheglin won't ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch that refuses to ferment. Here are the stats on it :

I used 5 gallons tap water, and 15lbs of bulk honey (non-cream style). I simmered and skimmed the top(did not boil) for one hour. I also added my red tea at the start of simmering. I then hydrated my Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast. Red tea(Rooibos) is low in tannins so I added 1/2 tsp of tannins, and used gypsum to add sulfates(I had no more campden tablets). I adjusted the acidity with half a lemon, juiced and rinds threw into primary fermenter. I then pitched the hydrated yeast. After 2 days the airlock did not budge.

I checked the ingredients on the tea, and found no preservatives. Expecting bad yeast, I hydrated large mead yeast. I pitched the new yeast and waited another two days. Still no movement on the airlock. Replaced the airlock and waited another two days. No movement. I created a starter off the must and added energizer and nutrients and used a champagne yeast. I let the starter sit for two hours and it was fermenting just fine. I also rocked the carboy to add some oxygen into the must. I pitched it in and waited another two days. Nothing. I'm very frustrated :mad: and am about to throw out the batch. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

The last step did rectify the fermentation problem. Day 3 there was very small bubbles collecting on the top of the must. Day 4 the airlock was pulverized by the massive fermentation.

Here is my lesson on this brewing session. Be patient, even if everything looks grim :p and that started Champagne yeast can handle anything :D

Back