Some fun BEER history

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Beer History
The Babylonians loved beer so much that if you served a watered-down batch, your punishment was to be drowned in it.

When the monks in the Middle Ages fasted, they were still allowed to pound a few beers. However, each monk was limited to just five quarts of beer a day. (The monastery must have its limits, right?)

The Pilgrims on the Mayflower stopped at Plymouth Rock rather than continuing on to Virginia because they were running out of beer. What's more, while there wasn't any cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin pie to eat at the first Thanksgiving... we know for a fact that there was beer.

The Vikings drank so much beer before battles that they sometimes forgot to put their armor on — or their shirts. In fact, we can thank the bare-chested antics of the Vikings for the phrase "to go berserk." The Norse translation for berserk is bare shirt.

What's more: according to Norse mythology, the Vikings believed that a giant goat whose udders provided an endless supply of beer was waiting for them in Valhalla.

It is believed that beer was one of the provisions Noah placed on the ark. (Come to think of it, if I'd known what Noah knew... beer would have been at the top of the list.)

If an ancient Egyptian gentleman offered a lady a sip of his beer, they were considered betrothed.

George Washington was a devout beer lover and stopped off at the old Bull's Head Tavern for a sud when New York was finally evacuated in 1783. In fact, his ragtag group of rebels in the Revolutionary Army received daily rations of a quart of beer.

If you collect beer bottles, you're a labeorphilist. And, if you collect beer coasters, then you're a tegestologist.

Arnold of Soissons (ca. 1040 — 1087) is the patron saint of brewing. He encouraged the locals to drink beer instead of water due to its health benefits. He is also considered the patron saint of hop pickers because of the region in which he preached. Hops originated in Brabant region of Belgium; Belgians reportedly sent the first hops to England for use in making beer. No wonder they made him a saint!

A British man who was the victim of a car accident sued the other driver, claiming he had lost his ability to taste beer as a result of his injuries. The judge agreed that this was a "great loss" and awarded the man $14,076.

And finally, if you're a serious beer lover, you may suffer from a condition known as cenosillicaphobia, the fear of an empty (beer) glass.

I am a cenosillicaphobia
Cheers
Jay

Beer History

If you collect beer bottles, you're a labeorphilist. And, if you collect beer coasters, then you're a tegestologist.

And finally, if you're a serious beer lover, you may suffer from a condition known as cenosillicaphobia, the fear of an empty (beer) glass.

Thanks a bunch Jay, now I can tell people in bars that I'm a tegestologist with a severe case of cenosillicaphobia!

I'd like to know where they came up with the idea that Noah put beer on the Ark...

I mean, it's a great story and all, but if this was mentioned in the Bible, I suspect that millions of beer lovers would have made that common knowledge by now. At least as many as those who think that Ben Franklin quoted beer as proof of God's love.

i always heard the Vikings ate mushrooms and tripped before and during battles...

i guess if you get a bunch of spun brutish males together their is bound to be beer drinking.

Back