Favorite Belgian extract recipe (finished pics would be great!!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
Strong Ale, Dubbel, Trippel, anything. How long did you leave it in the secondary? Any other stories? Thanks!:rockin:

I made a Belgian Golden Strong ale on Feb 1, 2009. I bottled it on April 19, and entered it into competition (MCAB qualifier) in late May. I won 3rd prize in the French/Belgian Ale category.

Recipe:
0.3 lb wheat malt
0.1 lb Munich malt
8 lb Extra light DME
1 lb light candi sugar
1.5 oz Super Styrian hops (60)
0.5 oz Saaz (15)
0.5 oz Saaz (1)

Wyeast Belgian Abbey II

OG: 1.082
FG: 1.012
ABV: 9.2%

Im looking for a great Quad extract kit. Something along the lines of my favorite beer = St Bernardus Abt 12

Still the best beer I have made (at least my favorite) is an extract Belgian Golden Strong that I made. Wasn't a kit, but was damn good. Shoot me a PM if you want the recipe

I made a Belgian Golden Strong ale on Feb 1, 2009. I bottled it on April 19, and entered it into competition (MCAB qualifier) in late May. I won 3rd prize in the French/Belgian Ale category.

Recipe:
0.3 lb wheat malt
0.1 lb Munich malt
8 lb Extra light DME
1 lb light candi sugar
1.5 oz Super Styrian hops (60)
0.5 oz Saaz (15)
0.5 oz Saaz (1)

Wyeast Belgian Abbey II

OG: 1.082
FG: 1.012
ABV: 9.2%

How the **** did you get the FG so low?

Dubbel

mini-mash at 152 for an hour:
.5 lb. each of caramunich, special B, and aromatic.
1lb. pilsner

6 lbs. pilsen light DME
1 lb. pilonchillo

Wyeast Abbey II

Primaried two weeks 68-70, secondaried for a month at 72. This beer was brewed in March and is just now coming into it's own as all of the esters produced (even at this temp) by this strain are settling down and the maltiness is stepping forward.

If may be a bit heavy for a Dubbel, but damn it's good and one at bedtime gives the sweetest dreams!

Northern brewer has a kit that I think would fit your bill. I have it in Primary right at the moment so I cannot tell you how it tastes yet. Gravity is a high 1.084, but after cooling my wort down to pitching temp, 72°, it came out at an O.G. of 1.100.

That was off of 6.5 gallon start, and according to my bucket was at 5 gallons at the end so shouldn't of been any mixing problems. Either northern gives more than advertised, or my hydrometer is boffed.

Northern brewer has a kit that I think would fit your bill. I have it in Primary right at the moment so I cannot tell you how it tastes yet. Gravity is a high 1.084, but after cooling my wort down to pitching temp, 72°, it came out at an O.G. of 1.100.

That was off of 6.5 gallon start, and according to my bucket was at 5 gallons at the end so shouldn't of been any mixing problems. Either northern gives more than advertised, or my hydrometer is boffed.

Whats the name of the kit at NB?

Thanks for the recipe Amity, I was thinking about trying one of these and your recipe sounds great.

Im looking for a great Quad extract kit. Something along the lines of my favorite beer = St Bernardus Abt 12

Their are two distinguishing things about St Bernardus. One you can modify an existing recipe to get closer to, the other you can't.

The first is the higher level of dark malt. There isn't much roasty flavor so I assume it is Carafa Special II or something like that. Anyway, I think if you take a trappist type strong dark recipe and add enough carafa to get the color close to St. Bernardus, it would be closer.

The second is the yeast. Nobody really knows the source. It might have been Westvleteren but Westvleteren uses Westmalle yeast now. The beer is centrifuged and bottled with a different strain, so you can't culture it.

Back