Wife quit her job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
Yikes.

My wife resigned from her job this morning. She never liked it, but was really good at it, so her manager kept piling more and more work on her, and eventually more and more difficult work. This morning she had decided it was enough and resigned. (It was a much longer process than this. Panic attacks and not sleeping for the last six weeks leading up to it.)

The Nature of my Job is that during the summer months I make much less than during the year. We are young and have a fairly small rainy day fund, and since we only suspected this was coming for a month or so didn't really have time to pile up cash.

So, just wanted to vent. I'm scared to death and so is she. This is probably going to end up being a very good thing for everyone involved eventually, but for now it really bites.

Good thing I just made 10 gallons of beer a few weeks ago. Might not be able to afford more for a little while.

Yikes.

My wife resigned from her job this morning. She never liked it, but was really good at it, so her manager kept piling more and more work on her, and eventually more and more difficult work. This morning she had decided it was enough and resigned. (It was a much longer process than this. Panic attacks and not sleeping for the last six weeks leading up to it.)

The Nature of my Job is that during the summer months I make much less than during the year. We are young and have a fairly small rainy day fund, and since we only suspected this was coming for a month or so didn't really have time to pile up cash.

So, just wanted to vent. I'm scared to death and so is she. This is probably going to end up being a very good thing for everyone involved eventually, but for now it really bites.

Good thing I just made 10 gallons of beer a few weeks ago. Might not be able to afford more for a little while.

That is a shame, too bad HIS boss didn't see what was happening and stepped in BEFORE it got to this. Why do bosses often seem to push the good ones right out the door??

Good luck to you and to her, I'm sure you'll be fine. My last day at my job is tomorrow, I gave my two weeks because I have really come to hate my job here. Stress, bad relationships at work, and poor leadership will do that to a person. All you can do is be positive and look to the future, my wife just got a good job up in Washington so I guess I'll be brewing and being a bum for a while.

Back in January '08 I up and quit my job. I hated going in there everyday and something had to change. My wife and I had only been married since October, planned on buying a house soon and starting a family and the timing couldn't have been worse. In hindsight I wish I would've done it sooner. It was difficult and the finances were stretched pretty thin in the beginning, but since then we bought a house, our first child is due in 3 weeks and I love my job. Good luck to you both, I'm sure you will be fine. Just remember to support her and reassure everything will be fine.

It's all gonna be fine. She'll find new work, and she'll enjoy it more at least because it's not the last job.

I have only ever once left a job without first having another lined up. I started up my own company. Wow was that ever brutal. Gave it a 2 year run before my son was due and decided it was time to get a steady income. I wouldn't go so far as to say I "enjoy" my job now but, it's a cake walk and I'll likely be a lifer here.

That's tough, especially with unemployment at 9.4%. My wife up and quit her job teaching a few years ago, it was a school for kids with pretty severe behavioral issues and it was not managed well at all. She just couldn't take it. I was pissed because she hadn't told me she was going to quit (in fairness, we would probably have just fought like crazy) and she didn't leave on terribly professional terms; no notice or anything, she just quit. Might not have even finished out the day.

I was pissed, can't lie. Probably the toughest time we've gone through in our marraige. Couldn't even talk to her for a while. But, it worked out in the end, she went back to grad school, started TA'ing (which hooked us up with massively-cheap health insurance), ended up getting a job right down the street from us which is less than ideal, but a lot better while she finishes up her doctorate.

So, it's tough, but you can get through it. Don't be an ******* to her like I was to my wife.

My brother went throught this abt10 years ago....company mantra was "we must do more with less", yet the work load increased as they let his staff go 1 by 1.

Finally, he walked into boss's offic and said "Been thinking aboutdoing more with less......well, here's a whole lot more less !" and he handed in his notice,and simply walked out !

That's perfect! Now you can hand her a grain bill before you go to work and expect it to be in primary when you get home!

Just kidding, sorta. You'll get through it.

Getting out a bad job situation is worth the worries. The economy is turning the corner, not quickly, but all of the leading indicators are up. I had a GF who freaked every time one of my job contracts ran out, most of which were 3-6 months. Even though I was averaging triple her annual income, she stressed out until I got another contract. Finally killed the relationship.

Not sure about NJ, but in Texas, you can collect unemployment for quiting for certain reasons, like hostile work environment, among other things. You should look into it.

I lost my job back in November and had my son 2 days later. Man, was that scary, but a great way to take my mind off of it. I decided to hold off looking and take care of the baby while my wife worked, and a few months later she started making more than 5x what she made before. Scary thing is, she's in the mortgage business and things swing like crazy in that industry (my old industry too).

Everything happens for a reason. It's exciting to see what those reasons are.

I read threads like this an envy those who can do this. I truly hate my job, I get tons of time to linger around here and play with gimp and what not on the companies dime, but it's f'ing boring and I feel like my prime years of learning my industry are going to waste. BUT there's nothing around here and We could not afford it. My dad was always very unresposnible with jobs and I will never quit a job without another one lined up just for fear of ending up like him.

Not saying those of you that do are bad. Just saying I would feel like I was no better than him.

Quitting a job in this economy is tough... doing it in MI I can imagine even tougher. I dunno... my neighbors wife was talking about quitting her job a few weeks back and came to my wife (her bf) to talk about it.

I told my wife to persuade her NOT to quit, but to look for another job for a period of time first. Look, the economy isnt great, and even when it is, being middle class sucks.

The neighbors wife talked to some ppl in management and laid it on the table, since the WORST that could happen was that they would do nothing and she would quit anyway (which she was prepared to do anyhow). They worked some of it out, her emotions got time to cool off, and she is still employed.

She is looking for other employment, but for now her family didnt take a 40k/year hit.

Yikes.

You have my most sincere heartfelt sympathy. If my own wife were not going through what your wife had to endure I would not even understand what you are talking about.

The method seems to be, if you need something doing, give it to the busiest person in the workplace. Let the other idiots sit back and scratch their asses, 'cos they will only screw it up anyway. One day, I too will post a thread describing the ABUSE that my wife is going through at work because she has a strong work ethic and a good conscience. She will be working late again tonight because she is now doing the jobs of 3 people (Literally) While less reliable people will be at home reaping the rewards of their successful ass licking.

Once again, my sincere sympathy to your wife. Give her a hug. She needs it.

Maybe steal a laser printer or two. Got pick up chicks at the local Chili's.

Seriously though... I work with a woman who worked out a full time telecommute. A handful of people already do this here and she wanted to move out of state to be closer to her new husband's family (and where real estate is 1/4 of the price). She just had a baby and announced her intent to leave to be a full time mom. OK, WTF is that? She's already under the radar with management and maybe works 1/4 of the day already. Why would you quit? Just half ass it... no, make that full ass it for as long as possible. You have no plans to return to work in the next decade so burn all them bridges and pocket a hundred grand at the same time.

you'll be alright. My wife quit her job last fall to go back to school for (eek...) interior design. In case you've not seen the news construction isn't exactly in high demand.

Long story short, we made it thru on one paycheck for 9 months, dipped into the emergency fund but it never scary. Exactly 1 week after she graduated she got a job offer from the local newspaper as a graphic designer. She's been doing it for 3 weeks, and she as a job monday to do autocad and design work for an industrial engineering company in town.

You'll be fine as long as you don't panic and think long term.

Latest posts

Back