Something is eating my baby hops!! Please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac

Reaction score
Here is a link to some photos I just took..

Picasa Web Albums - Jody McCarty - Hops

Not sure what is causing this.. I looked at the hops for awhile and was able to see some gnat looking bugs flying around and "playing" on my hops. I could not get a pic of the bug..

Please help!!!

Pick up a can of pyrethrum and give them a *very* light spray, being sure to hit the tops and bottoms of the leaves. It's an organic pesticide made from chrysanthemums. You don't want the leaves wet or anything close...just the lightest misting, or the leaves will burn up.

What do you think is causing this? I dont see these bugs on all of the plants... I am not sure if that is what is causing this or not.. Some of the leaves do have a white looking powder on the older leaves.. Should I just trim the lower leaves?

The pyrethrum stuff looks promising. Thanks for the tip!! I am not a gardener by any means so any help here is great!

What do you think is causing this? I dont see these bugs on all of the plants... I am not sure if that is what is causing this or not.. Some of the leaves do have a white looking powder on the older leaves.. Should I just trim the lower leaves?

White powder could be powdery mildew. Put that into google and you will see some pics of what powdery mildew looks like. You can use something like Serenade (Serenade Garden Disease Control - Safe, Effective, Organic Control of Fungal and Bacterial Diseases) to get rid of it. My squash got hit with powdery mildew last year, but it didnt get my hops.

Back