High FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
I don't think this is much of a problem, but I want to be sure.

The FG's for my last two brews have been 1.016. I checked both batches over a period of 2-3 days to make sure fermentation was completed. Also, one batch was only 3 gallons, and I used a 1 liter starter of WLP001, so I know there was enough yeast.

This FG, although not too bad, still seems a bit higher than the 1.010-1.014 that most recipes call for. Is there any particular reason for this? Also, is this a problem that could cause bottle bombs?

You may've just had more un-fermentables in the wort,resulting in a higher FG. If you repeated the measurement over 2-3 days,it's done.

Did you correct for temp? That's really not to much of a difference, I wouldn't worry unless the beers you made call for a FG on the lower end of the spectrum.

i did correct for temp.

they sat at 1.016 for 2 or 3 days before i bottled them.

I am guessing this isn't that big of a deal. They still taste good, and that is all that matters. I was just worried about bottle bombs(I had one[1 out of about 40 bottles] with a beer that got down to 1.014).

So can steeping grains raise the FG of a beer? I am assuming that is what is meant by unfermentables.

"Unfermentebles" are the more complex sugars & such that the yeast can't ferment that give a malt it's specific color,flavor,aromas,etc. So,if you use all malts instead of adding sugars,you then have more constituents that don't ferment out,that also raise the specific gravity.
Thus,increasing color,flavor,etc. Of course,you then have to balance this out with more aroma/flavor hops. Oh darn...!

i did correct for temp.

they sat at 1.016 for 2 or 3 days before i bottled them.

I am guessing this isn't that big of a deal. They still taste good, and that is all that matters. I was just worried about bottle bombs(I had one[1 out of about 40 bottles] with a beer that got down to 1.014).

So can steeping grains raise the FG of a beer? I am assuming that is what is meant by unfermentables.

I think that if you use 100% malt extract, you get a higher FG than a partial mash recipe, which include steeping some grains (unless you steep carapils).

When I said steeping grains, I was talking about crystal, caramunich, carapils etc. I don't have a kettle big enough to do a partial mash yet, although I am slowly but surely saving up for the equipment to make the move to AG.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I never had a batch finish l lower than 1.018 when I was doing extract. And from what I read this is a very common thing. It wasn't until I went AG that I started getting the lower FG I wanted.

Huh. Most of my extract brews didn't go below 1.012. My latest,an APA,finished at 1.010. You must've had yeast that didn't attenuate as much as mine?

Have you calibrated your hydrometer by measuring the gravity of plain water?
It's not uncommon for hydrometers to be off by a few points.

-a.

Latest posts

Back