Do you ever wonder how much better the Pilot brew was?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can't help wondering when trying these diluted 3.2% version of Macro and Mini-Macro styles what the pilot brew inspiration actually tasted like before it was adulterated by accountants and alcohol commissions.

For example, do you think the American Ale actually started it's life as a full flavor Amber and then got thinned down for distribution?

Michelob Pale Ale? Did it start it's life as a Pilot Imperial DIPA and get watered into a Pale Ale?

Any thoughts?

I'm sure the brewers would be capable of making a fine version of any thing they wanted. But, I'm willing to bet they have some constraints as too what they are allowed to brew for mass production.
I can see it now in neon @ the liquor store "Bud Light Barley Wine Style Ale" .
I hope the big boys stick to their fizzy yellow stuff.

I would guess it's cost. "How close can we get to the 'real thing' for this price point?" They're not catering to people who are going to pay craft beer prices, so it makes sense for them to find a way to offer variety to their market.

I go hunting ever year with my father and a friend of his...Sunday, we go to a bar to watch football. The bar has 30 taps. My dad's friend always gets Coors Light in a bottle (they have it on tap). We pretty much have the same opinion about each other's beer..."how can he drink that crap?"

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Since he's willing to split the bill evenly, I don't mind subsidizing my craft brew pints with his Coors pounders. :p

Back