Cider Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jilaman

Reaction score
On saturday I got to help out and get myself 10 gallons of fresh pressed cider. When I got home saturday afternoon I crushed 5 campdem tablets and dropped them into one carboy and one better bottle.

Earlier in the week on Weds. I made a starter with the vial of WLP775 Cider yeast and some 100% apple juice. I have since decanted off the spent apple juice and added more to boost the yeast further. I did this because I want to use the same yeast on two batches.

Under the direction of a friend/acquaintance I've added 4lbs of Light Brown Sugar and 1lb of Dextrose to each 5 Gallon batch. Now I gotta figure out what I am going to do with them both. My plan is one batch is going to be a draught cider, the other batch I am planning to turn into a still cider with some spices(this is where I need help).

I took a SG and it is approx 1.088 @68 degrees, I did not correct for temp.

So what do you guys and gals do to make a good still cider, for a winter spice or what not? The one in the glass carboy I plan on aging longer, the better bottle one will likely become the draught batch. Looking forward to your suggestions.

On saturday I got to help out and get myself 10 gallons of fresh pressed cider. When I got home saturday afternoon I crushed 5 campdem tablets and dropped them into one carboy and one better bottle.

Earlier in the week on Weds. I made a starter with the vial of WLP775 Cider yeast and some 100% apple juice. I have since decanted off the spent apple juice and added more to boost the yeast further. I did this because I want to use the same yeast on two batches.

Under the direction of a friend/acquaintance I've added 4lbs of Light Brown Sugar and 1lb of Dextrose to each 5 Gallon batch. Now I gotta figure out what I am going to do with them both. My plan is one batch is going to be a draught cider, the other batch I am planning to turn into a still cider with some spices(this is where I need help).

I took a SG and it is approx 1.088 @68 degrees, I did not correct for temp.

So what do you guys and gals do to make a good still cider, for a winter spice or what not? The one in the glass carboy I plan on aging longer, the better bottle one will likely become the draught batch. Looking forward to your suggestions.

That's a BIG cider, more into wine territory with that OG. You're looking at 12% ABV or so. I'd ferment it out just as it is, but I know several people like to put cinnamon or cloves (or both) in right away. My concern with doing that is that this might take a while to ferment, and the spices would get stronger and stronger. I'd ferment it until secondary, and then consider adding the spices then.

I'm with yooper, ferment to complete dryness with both batches. Then when they are done, you can leave one to drop clear as your draught, and then the other add whole spices. I like "pie spices", such as nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. You can add all three in their whole forms, then just rack off of them when you get to a spice level you like.

Oh I know it is a big time cider due to the potential ABV%, but I tried some of Eric's cider and let me tell you this stuff is phenomenal. Eric was 2005 NHA Cider Maker of the Year, so I took his advice word for word. :)

I also thought about stopping the fermentation on the draught one before it gets to complete dryness..

Oh I know it is a big time cider due to the potential ABV%, but I tried some of Eric's cider and let me tell you this stuff is phenomenal. Eric was 2005 NHA Cider Maker of the Year, so I took his advice word for word. :)

I also thought about stopping the fermentation on the draught one before it gets to complete dryness..

where can i find this trusty recipie? :mug:

This was his email to me, with his recommendations. he adds more sugar than I did.

6 gallons of cider (5 plus 1 for the secondary)
5 lbs. white/cane sugar
2 lbs. brown sugar (optional)
2.5 tsp. yeast nutrient (or follow the package)
1 packet Lalvin K1v-1116 or EC 1118
3-5 cinnamon sticks

The short answer/the "secret" is much like dry hopping. Fruit, Juice, etc. added to the secondary will be better expressed in the finished product.

I typically ferment the 5 gallons of cider, and once the primary fermentation is done, and it begins to clarify (or let it completely clarify if you are patient enough), then rack it into a glass carboy and top it up with fresh cider. You will get a secondary fermentation, but much milder than the primary; therefore, it should not scrub out as much of the apple flavor and aroma.

Back