Can I trim the gas side dip tube on a corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
I got 4 new corny's and the gas side dip tubes are a lot longer than the ones I already have. I'd say they're a good 4" long!

I'd like to cut them as I brew 23L batches and the corney's only hold 19L when filled to the top. I'd like to bottle as little as possible.

Can I cut the gas side dip tube shorter? Why would it be so long in the first place?

Kal

Can't think of any reason why cutting them would be a problem. Making them so long is just begging for backflow.

My thoughts exactly. I always try and fill pretty close to the almost touching the gas dip tube, but these ones are a lot longer than I'm used to.

The less bottles I have to wash for the extra overflow beer when kegging, the better. :)

Thanks guys. Now where's that hacksaw!

Kal

Really? After cutting stainless steel it needs to 'fix' itself? Didn't know that! Thanks!

Kal

It's something I read when I was planning on trimming...I never got around to it though...still planning on doing it...:D Either that or just bending the tube more.

I found a torx screw driver this morning that fits in the tube nicely so I can just bend it a bit more, but will probably be more pleased with trimming them.

kal said:
I got 4 new corny's and the gas side dip tubes are a lot longer than the ones I already have. I'd say they're a good 4" long!

I'd like to cut them as I brew 23L batches and the corney's only hold 19L when filled to the top. I'd like to bottle as little as possible.

Can I cut the gas side dip tube shorter? Why would it be so long in the first place?

Kal
Four inches long? I have never seen them that long, but I would love those. I attach carbonation stones to mine with some hose and it would be a lot easier attaching it to a tube that long than the stubby one inchers I have.

Back