Adding Orange Peel to an IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fpatten

Howdy all,

Quick question, if I wanted to add some citrus peel to a batch of IPA, when would you add it? Pre-Ferment? Post?

I'm new too, but I would assume you would add it in the last 10 min of the boil, and you could probably add it in secondary

last 5 minutes is pretty good....i just brewed one. If you are doing the pellets they are very strong....if you are doing your own peel, don't any white in.....will be really bitter.

I brewed a 2.5 gallon wheat tonight with the zest of 1.5 oranges. Added last 5 minutes of boil. How can I get more orange flavor(without extract)?

I brewed a 2.5 gallon wheat tonight with the zest of 1.5 oranges. Added last 5 minutes of boil. How can I get more orange flavor(without extract)?

You can do several things. First of all, consider using hops that lend to the citrus/orange flavor. You can also soak some orange peel in a vodka solution for a week or so then add the vodka to bottling or your secondary. I tend to add the zest at flameout. I sometimes double up and add orange peel at 5 minutes then zest at flameout. Coriander is also known to give a peppery orange flavor. Hope this helps.

Back