Old Speckled SKUNK!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Grrrrr.

Why, oh why do brewers of (supposedly) quality beer not respect their product enough to package it in a way that will protect it?!

I just bought a 6-pack of Old Speckled Hen. I am often very leary of buying anything in clear bottles but curiosity got the beter of me as I have never tried this one before and heard much good about it.

YUCK! Super skunked. $11 USD down the drain! :mad:

Guess I still do not know what this beer tastes like. Unless it is supposed to taste that bad...

Definitely not, OSH is very tasty. I've seen it showing up in clear bottles here too but fortunately so far it's still mostly in cans. Hopefully the cans aren't just old stock and the bottles are replacing them. :(

I had a bottle of Newcastle in the same shape a few weeks. Kind of made me sick...couldn't drink anything else for the rest of the night.

One of the biggest downsides to 6 packs is that they are exposed to more light. I am always very leary of bottle shops that stuff doesn't fly off the shelves. Skunking is always because of poor handling.

I actually prefer the cans more because of the cool nitro widget. I have actually started buying more canned beer as long as it has the nitro widget. I did have some Boddingtons that the widget exploded inside and made the bottom of the can dome shaped. Beer came out flat.:mad: I think it bounced around in my Bronco too much on the way home.

Have not seen the cans where I am. Probably will be a LONG while before I am ready to fork over the cash for this beer again.

knights of Gambrinus said:
I find it harder to brew a clone if I do not know what the original tastes like. ;)
Okay.

Brew a clone, then mail it to the brewer and tell THEM "this is what your beer is supposed to taste like..not skunk squirt..." :D

I tried this beer once at The Flying Saucer. Had a horrible metallic flavor to it. I very rarely can not finish a beer. This one I could not even get through 1/4 of it.

Ryanh1801 said:
I tried this beer once at The Flying Saucer. Had a horrible metallic flavor to it. I very rarely can not finish a beer. This one I could not even get through 1/4 of it.
You must have gotten a bad beer because I bought a 4 pack of cans at Specs( gigantic liquor in Houston) and they were really good no metallic taste at all. I say look for some canned versions and give it another try.

knights of Gambrinus said:
Grrrrr.

Why, oh why do brewers of (supposedly) quality beer not respect their product enough to package it in a way that will protect it?!

I just bought a 6-pack of Old Speckled Hen. I am often very leary of buying anything in clear bottles but curiosity got the beter of me as I have never tried this one before and heard much good about it.

YUCK! Super skunked. $11 USD down the drain! :mad:

Guess I still do not know what this beer tastes like. Unless it is supposed to taste that bad...

I did the exact same thing. Was hesitant about buying it in a clear bottle but did and yes, YUCK. Skunked

Hell Brew said:
You must have gotten a bad beer because I bought a 4 pack of cans at Specs( gigantic liquor in Houston) and they were really good no metallic taste at all. I say look for some canned versions and give it another try.
Is that the place thats the size of a grocery store? I used to have a neighbor in Lubbock from Houston, that always talked about this huge liquor store. Where is it at, im probably gonna be taking a trip down there sometime soon?

Ryanh1801 said:
Is that the place thats the size of a grocery store? I used to have a neighbor in Lubbock from Houston, that always talked about this huge liquor store. Where is it at, im probably gonna be taking a trip down there sometime soon?
The gigantic one is at 2410 Smith, it is their warehouse, they also have a clearance store at 1011 Westheimer.
They have a website with all the locations.http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=/cgi-bin/locate

Back