What would you brew if you had...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
45bls of Weyermanns Pale 2-row sitting in your basement?... i'm thinking big IPA.. like a 90 min...

an Amber Ale... maybe?

I have a great imperial pale ale(not an IPA) recipe I made that uses only Golden Promise. I'm sure subbing for 2 row would be fine. I can PM it to you or post it of you'd like.

How many beers are you looking to get out of this?

Two? DIPA and RIS or American Barleywine.

Three? DIPA, IPA or American Stout and APA.

Four? IPA, American Stout, APA and Baby APA. ;)

Sorry guys slacked a bit on this thread.. My gear is rigged for 5 gal. batches.. and the heaviest grains i've had in my mash is 13.5 pounds and it was near the top...

I'm thinking of experimenting with a basic single malt reciped and some interesting Hops... lets say 8 pounds per batch.. i'm nearing 90% efficiency since i'm crushing my own grains... and its fairly consistent...

I Have 4 kegs empty rightnow (been a good drinking summer) and one batch finishing up in the secondary.. so that leaves me with three to keg in the next few weeks... and maybe a lager??.. I just need to make time.

I'd brew something malty personally. Those German grains are really tasty!

like an irish red?.. i do have some carapils and melonoidin about 1 lb of each.

I do have 45 lbs of Weyermann 2 row pale in my basement.

I have recipes that I am working on that include the Weyermann 2 row.

A Pepper Ale
A Wee Heavy (if I don't get Golden Promise for it)
Cream Ale
Barleywine
Roggenbier

Who knows?

thought this up...

10 Lbs of weyermanns two row
.5 lbs of carapils
.5 lbs of melonoidin
.25 lbs. of crystal 60 (i think i have some already too)

mash at 150, yeild about 6 gal.

HOPS?? Kent Goldings?
.5 oz. at 45
.5 oz. at 30
.5 oz. at 15
.5 os. at 5

I have a jar of wlp001 from an IPA i made.. if all goes well this could be in 6.5 abv range..

Well I think it sounds kinda tasty myself! I'd mash at around 153F myself, though. I feel the small bit of sacrifice you make in fermentability is worth the richer beer...unless you are brewing a Belgian or a Weizen or something else where the yeast is going to contribute a lot of flavor ...just my opinion.

Batch size 5gal

11# 2row mashed at 152 for an hour

1oz willamette and 2 grams bog myrtle @60 min
1# clear liquid candi sugar @30 min
1 oz cascade and 8oz dried elderberries @10 min
.5oz cascade @ 5 min
.5 oz cascade @ flameout

Add 10oz pure grade b maple syrup day 2 of active fermentation. Dry hop with 1 oz of willamette.

I made this and got some great feedback with it. It was a quick turn around too. The elderberry adds a nice mellow flavor and aroma. And the bog myrtle gives you a really cool buzz. AHS sells both bog myrtle/myrica gale and the dried elderberries.

Ended up doing this...
Mashed at 153 Degres
10# Weyermanns Two-row Pale
Steeped at 170 (20 min.)
0.5# British Crystal 40L

boil volume 5.5 Gal. brix reading 14.5
Batch size remaining just under 5 gal.
Boil time 60 min.
HOP ADDITIONS:
.5 oz Centennial 60 MIN
.5 oz Centennial 50 MIN
.5 oz Chinook 40 MIN
.5 oz Chinook 30 MIN
.5 oz Chinook 20 MIN
.5 oz Chinook 10 MIN
1 oz Chinook 1 MIN (Flame out)
IBU's calculated at 90 and the late aroma hops should add a nice piney nose.
Yeast pitched (no starter) WLP001 (Harvested from older IPA)
Brix reading prior to yeast pitching : 16.5 (1.068)
If I achieve a 1.014 FG the ABV will be just around 7% (IPA~ISH)

This smelled like a tastey brew the chinook really came through. Now... i'm thinking about a pumpkin ale... a basic one at that.

Thanks for your suggestions.. I still have 30 lbs left of the base malts i'm thinking after the pumpkin I use the remaing for a christmas ale.. or barely wine...

I was bored on saturday (cant drink due to antibiotics)... so i brewed a pumpkin ale.
6 # Weyermanns 2 row Mashed
29 oz. libbys unspiced pumpkin (right out the can in the mash)
.5 # Caramunich (steeped)
.5 # Amber DME
29 oz. libbys unspiced pumpkin (right out the can at 60 min.)

Hops
.5 Centenial 45 MIN
.5 Centenial 30 MIN
.5 Centenial 15 MIN
.5 Centenial 10 MIN
1 tbs of irish moss at 5 min.

I have these measuring spoons (tad, pinch, smigen...) that i used to make my own pumpkin spice and only used 1 tsp at 5 min.

pumpkin spice mix.
2 tads Cinnamin
2 tads nutmeg
1 tad clove
3 tads ginger
1 tad allspice

Brix before pitching (WLP545) was 11.. i little undershot my goal.. but should still respectible... I just hope its sweet enough...

Only thing i'm debating on this brew is the 545... i'm sure it will be tastey..

Got my 10 GAL SS brew kettle from santa!.. and a new 48 quart square bottom cooler so i'm ready!.. gonna shoot for my first 10 Gal brew soon as the weather stops acting up.

got about 25 Lbs. of German goodies left... They were in a nice air tight bucket they should be fine right?...

Dont even go there its been a loooong winter man.. i also had some sort of Alien fungus in one of carboys scared the daylights out me.. I went and Bleach Bombed all my gear and replaced anything with a crevice!! Been really busy on the weekends as well... Got bless you if you can brew that much... I also dont have garage I can use for brewing i have a sinble car and my chevelle fills it to the gills!..

Been stairing at this beutiful SS brew kettle for months now... havent even boiled water it in yet..

Back