Boiling Lobsters in the e-HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started out making a clone of this

Belfast-Bay-Lobster-Ale-570x493.jpg

So I made some changes to my Tampa Bay water to match Belfast Bay, Maine water...

And ended up just eating the corn and lobsters instead. Woot!

img_6140-56139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me want to run out to the grocery store. Around here all the stores have a tank. The fish store down the road closed a half hour ago!

I worked on a lobster boat in SE Maine for a week, a few summers ago. Had a blast, learned a lot, and ate a ton of lobster.

However, please do not boil lobsters. You lose a lot of their flavor doing that and more times than not, overcook them. The only way to cook lobster, according to the boat captains, is to steam them in an inch of highly salted water for 3 min per lb. Some swear by different shaped pots, but the same thing among all of them is 1 inch of water, steam, 3 min per pound.

100_2215.jpg

100_2237.jpg

Ticonderoga113.jpg

Ticonderoga114.jpg

I worked on a lobster boat in SE Maine for a week, a few summers ago. Had a blast, learned a lot, and ate a ton of lobster.

However, please do not boil lobsters. You lose a lot of their flavor doing that and more times than not, overcook them.

You're right. This is exactly how I was told to cook them. But I wanted to cook them outside so I decided to use my keggle. It's got an electric element in there and steaming wasn't an option.

They were very good anyway, so if I overcooked them it wasn't a disaster.

I'll take your advice and get my old propane boil pot out next time (or just do them in the kitchen). Thanks for the thoughts.

Yup, steaming them is the way to go. I got 4 lobsters yesterday when they went on sale for $5 a pound. I actually also got 10 pounds of
locally cultured mussels for .99 a pound and steamed those too.
Good feed for sure.

Back