Countertop Brutus Budzu-style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
I loved JKarp's countertop brewery so much I had to make my own! Now my friends want one too.
This is all based on the familiar design of pump and CFC in a bucket. I recirculate the full mash volume throughout the mash, usually step mashing by using the kettle as a heat source. The temp of the wort is kept even in the kettle by use of a stir plate on a low 5v power supply. The stir plate was built very thin, between two bamboo cutting boards and some 1x2" pine. The single pump transfers wort from the bottom of the kettle up to the top of the mash, turned on and off by a small SS adjustable float switch arm in the kettle.
This gives me incredible step mashing times and a very effective mashout. All resulting in 75% efficiency on the first and only try so far (1.069 gravity).

I can put 4 gallons into my 1/6 bbl sankeys after knockout. The 25' cfc did a wonderful job of closed-circuit cooling and left AWESOME hop aroma in my IPA test batch, made with Zythos hops.

So here's the pics, and cheers and thank you to JKarp for his awesome idea!
cheers buddies
7326-kettle-stir-plate.jpg

7325-inside-kettle.jpg

7324-float-switch.jpg

7321-control-box.jpg

7322-control-box-back.jpg

7323-da-bucket.jpg

7320-bucket-inside.jpg

7327-mash-configuration.jpg

Kinda surprised you feel you need the stirbar when you're recirculating the entire mash. I wouldn't have expected that. BUT, I think it's freakin' genius to do something that simple.

I'm building a 240v Brutus20 right now. Can't wait til it's ready.

Freakin' Sweet. It's the jkarp bucket on steroids!!!1

Ok, let's build mine.

:mug:

Can't wait buddy!

Kinda surprised you feel you need the stirbar when you're recirculating the entire mash. I wouldn't have expected that. BUT, I think it's freakin' genius to do something that simple.

I'm building a 240v Brutus20 right now. Can't wait til it's ready.

Thanks bro, it wasn't that I felt it would need it. I test ran the system without the stirrer. I was hoping that the return tube angle would provide enough motion to even things out. But it turned out that the return flow was much too slow (at an appropriate rate to not compact the mash) to keep the kettle temps even. The top of the liquid in the kettle was reading 5 or more degrees above the lower liquid. That is unnacceptable. The PID becomes pointless with readings like that. I really really did not want to overcomplicate the build by putting in some motor and stir paddle. Then it hit me, why not a stir plate?

I've never seen it before in a kettle but it works just wonderfully. It will work fine on larger kettles too, I use a stir plate on 1/2 bbl sankey kegs as well. I have one going now for a 2 bbl batch at work.

You guys building herms systems should try this out if you don't want to use two pumps.

Hi Budzu,

Awesome desing, congratulations.

Please, Could you explain more details about the solution to avoid a slowly return flow to the HLT, maybe with a couple of pictures?. I couldn't understand the stir plate application, sorry I'm a beginner.

I've recently built the JKarp's desing, but I have problems with a very slowly recirculation flow, despite increase the degrees between the HLT and MLT liquid level, and a more thin mash.

Thanks a lot.

Hi David,

If I understand, you are having a problem with keeping enough flow out of the mash?

My float switch will turn my pump off when the level of liquid in the kettle gets too low. It will turn back on when the kettle is filled up enough from the mashtun. This allows me to walk away from the system, as long as the pump is flowing slightly faster than the flow from the mashtun.

I will get a picture of the inside of the electrical if that would help you, or describe the relay setup.

I hope this helps, let me know if I'm explaining the wrong thing.

Hmmm is your problem a stuck mash? Flow going too slow out the false bottom even with the valve opened fully?

If that's the case you should definitely run it slower, and possibly use a more coarse grain crush.

You're right Budzu, I've had only stuck mashes. I built the Jkarp's desing but with a rectangular manifold, like Palmer recommend. Also, I've used a grain ratio of 1,5 qts/lb and I've increased many times the angle between the MLT outflow and HLT inflow.

Like you recommend me, the next time I want to try with a thinner mash and more coarse grain crush. But I still believe that something is wrong with my build.

Has had anyone a similar problem/solution with the countertop Brutus?

Thanks a lot.

The manifold shape and mashtun shape might make a big difference as well. Since we are recirculating for so long, a round false bottom that covers the entire bottom of the round mashtun would work better. The flow is more consistent all throughout the mash.

Dear Budzu,

Unfortunately, in my country the home brewing hobby is recently starting, so I haven't found any stainless false bottom that fit well to my MLT 5 gallon cooler.

another questions:

Your MLT is a 5 gallons coler. Isn't it?
How many pound of grain and what grain ratio do you usually use?
Aren't you using any termocuple nor PID controller?

Thanks a lot.

Its so pretty. I am a huge sucker for good looking insulation.

How is your stir plate holding up? I think that is a fantastic idea and would love to emulate it. No problems with the heat or thickness of your wood shielding?
I poked around on your threads and didn't come across any more detail on the stir plate design. If it doesn't exist I would love to know more about how you're doing it.

Budzu-

It looks as if you used those Buna-N rubber strips on your mashtun. I noticed some Australian homebrewers at beerbelly.com.au were using a product called Airflex to insulate their MT's with a super-slick custom jacket:
mashtunoutside.gif

It looks WAY better than reflectix...but I wonder how those strips hold up. Are they peeling?

Did you consider putting the temperature probe on the outlet of the mash tun? This is certainly an important place for a temperature reading and it would also eliminate the need for the stir plate. Not sure if I'm missing something.

I like your design.

Where did you get your float switch from?

What part number does it have?

Thanks

Back