Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ace, that's the cat's meow. Likey very much.

All the local places have a meh selection of tins, and the jars. Considering my own blend. Probably some KFC and virginia.

I had my first try of that university flake the other night. I may smoke only that until the tin is gone. Good stuff!

I ain't got any fancy polish like Ace, but this is the ol' Klubb Foot so far.

IMG_20151221_211515842.jpg

IMG_20151221_211627535.jpg

IMG_20151221_211633165.jpg

Just ordered two more kits. Both bent blocks this time. One with a normal sized stem, the other with a churchwarden stem.

Here's the finished product. Can't wait to give it a test smoke.

I ain't got any fancy polish like Ace, but this is the ol' Klubb Foot so far.

Those look awesome. Can't wait to hear how they are. I wonder if you could do an aged wood stain with steel wool and vinegar. Nice guys. Might have to try to make one some day. Had another pipe of that black night cavendish blend from our local shop. I'll need to ask him about that one, I really like it.

it's one of the old drinkless styles. my common has something similar.

Yeah, they call those "stingers". Any pipe I have ever had that has had one has it removed asap. I hate not being able to pass a cleaner through when I'm smoking. To get that stem back to being black and shiny a soak in oxyclean solution and a mr clean magic eraser are your friends.

Having some molto dolce with my coffee this morning.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450978721.164189.jpg

Yeah, they call those "stingers". Any pipe I have ever had that has had one has it removed asap. I hate not being able to pass a cleaner through when I'm smoking. To get that stem back to being black and shiny a soak in oxyclean solution and a mr clean magic eraser are your friends.

nice! thanks, bruva!

Yeah, they call those "stingers". Any pipe I have ever had that has had one has it removed asap.

on this note, I have a small Rhodesian straight stem that had the brush filter insert. the adornment ring broke off so I cut off the thin part and removed the brush insert. been a smooth smoker ever since. my common has the screw in stem with the ball style drinkless. it doesn't bother me, so I left it alone. I also have an old H.I.S. that the top of the bowl was getting charred from my early smoking habits. I trimmed and sanded the top down to get rid of the burn out on top and scraped and sanded the inside of the bowl. it's almost like a new pipe again.

8oz of Lane 1Q, 8oz of my Sweet Klubb blend, and a tin of Ole Shenandoah 76 showed up today. they were out of the Lawless Sampler, so they took off the price of that and sent me a free tin of 76. they also changed their Carve Your Own block options.

Been a long while since I've picked up one of my pipes, so Christmas Day I had a smoke, the tobacco was a touch too moist so unless I was puffing like a steam locomotive it tended to go out... That's what I get for my lack of diligence of my humidor outside of just keeping the humidifier full I guess.

Since I also dabble in bad poetry I wrote a limerick in honor of my misadventure.

I'm puffing my pipe like an elegant bloke,
But keeping it lit is a pipe lovers joke,
And try though I might,
To get it to light,
Folks ask what brand of matches I smoke.

Been a long while since I've picked up one of my pipes, so Christmas Day I had a smoke, the tobacco was a touch too moist so unless I was puffing like a steam locomotive it tended to go out... That's what I get for my lack of diligence of my humidor outside of just keeping the humidifier full I guess.

Since I also dabble in bad poetry I wrote a limerick in honor of my misadventure.

I'm puffing my pipe like an elegant bloke,
But keeping it lit is a pipe lovers joke,
And try though I might,
To get it to light,
Folks ask what brand of matches I smoke.

Good to see you in here again, my friend. How're things?

I also have an old H.I.S. that the top of the bowl was getting charred from my early smoking habits. I trimmed and sanded the top down to get rid of the burn out on top and scraped and sanded the inside of the bowl. it's almost like a new pipe again.

I'm probably destroying mine just using a lighter. No signs of damage yet, but if I end up picking out a pipe I like I'll definitely use matches.. or something.

Just ordered 8 oz. of Penzance and 8 oz. of Stonehaven. I think I'll smoke a flake of each when they arrive, and jar/age the rest.

Stonehaven will age like a dream, Penzance is one that I feel starts to fade and not be as great as it ages, but that is just one guy from the internet's opinion.

I'm probably destroying mine just using a lighter. No signs of damage yet, but if I end up picking out a pipe I like I'll definitely use matches.. or something.

I am a huge fan of the Zippo pipe lighters. Just make sure you use Zippo brand fluid and let it burn a half second or so before lighting the pipe and you won't taste any lighter fluid. Amazon has them for something like $12

I am a huge fan of the Zippo pipe lighters.

Well now I feel stupid as usual. I had no idea there was such a thing. The pipe lighters I saw were $80-$100 so I told myself I'd just take my chances. Starting work on my 'garage bar' soon, will be a nice place to hang out and enjoy a pipe rather than just outside.

Stonehaven will age like a dream, Penzance is one that I feel starts to fade and not be as great as it ages, but that is just one guy from the internet's opinion.

I'll keep that in mind. If I really like the Penzance as-is when it arrives, there's nothing that says I have to age it for a long time.

Had a bit of the cavendish tobacco blend a few times last night while playing with the puppy in our first real snow of the year. The icy mess was still her first time seeing anything other than rain. The pipe was exceptionally enjoyable. Went inside to have a saison and warm up after. Nice evening.

Am I looking at the hot dog or the tobacco?!? :confused: ;)

Make relish? Shiit no. Just throw the whole pickle on there.

Ketchup? **** that... just toss some huge tomatoes on top... like so.

Yeah, that looks like straight up garbage. In fact, let's just throw this one in the trash and see if anyone is stupid enough to order it.

Back