bio reactor ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorgonzo79

Reaction score
I am looking to construct a simple bio reactor from a succession of three Erlenmeyer flasks. one wort and nutrient for feeding, one growing chamber, and one collection vessel. Connect the three with tubing and possibly use a hepa filtered line in the first chamber to force wort into the second one while at the same time forcing pitchable yeast into the collection vessel on brew day. closed system to keep yeast around and handy. any feedback?

I was originally going to run a glass tube to near the bottom of the growing vessel as i assumed where the yeast settles in the the bottom of the flask is the most viable part. i am new to brewing by the way; and to me this is all theoretical. I brew roughly every 10 days now and did not think a stir plate was absolutely necessary. picture a continuous starter; i am a chef and am basing this idea off sourdough starters ie. keep feeding it and they last quite a while.

seems difficult to achieve on a reasonable scale. You'd have to "feed" the culture several cups of wort every 3 days to keep it from going dormant. you could probably slow that if you didnt shake the starter and just used a foam stopper on a growler. you could also just chill/decant the spent wort from your starter, then pitch half (or more) of the slurry when you brewed and refill the jug with fresh wort.

doctorgonzo79 said:
I was originally going to run a glass tube to near the bottom of the growing vessel as i assumed where the yeast settles in the the bottom of the flask is the most viable part. i am new to brewing by the way; and to me this is all theoretical. I brew roughly every 10 days now and did not think a stir plate was absolutely necessary. picture a continuous starter; i am a chef and am basing this idea off sourdough starters ie. keep feeding it and they last quite a while.

you'd be stuck using that one kind of yeast for your all your beers thou

thanks much! sounds like i am better off making a starter for each brew and saving some in the fridge if i want to keep it around.

Back