Not at fg after 14 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewhite1217

Reaction score
I am making a porter with a OG of 1.045 and a FG of 1.014. Everything went fine during brewing. Pitched 1 packet of dry ale yeast. After 2 weeks in primary I took my first hydrometer reading today and it is at 1.022. Any reason for concern? Should I give it more time? Shake it up a bit? Thanks in advance.

If this is from extract your gravity may be close but another possibility is that you are fermenting a little cool and the yeast quit too soon. Try putting your beer in a warmer location and give the fermenter a little swirl to rouse the yeast. Leave it a few more days and check the gravity again.

Nothing to worry about,it's just not done yet. Give it at least another week,& check it again. Not all ferments are going to be done & clear in 10 or 12 days.

Test it again in 2 days. If the reading is the same, it's done fermenting.

Nothing wrong with letting it go a little longer in the primary.

It may take a little longer for the yeast to finish it's work, depending on the type of yeast, how you pitched it, and what your fermentation temp is.

If this is from extract your gravity may be close but another possibility is that you are fermenting a little cool and the yeast quit too soon. Try putting your beer in a warmer location and give the fermenter a little swirl to rouse the yeast. Leave it a few more days and check the gravity again.

I suggest this. Also good for AG batch.

Just took a second gravity reading. (2 days after last) Still stuck at 1.22. Moved it to a warmer room and gave it a little shake. Gonna give it another week before testing again. If still stuck do I pitch more yeast? Same strain as I first used? Should I use a full pack? Thanks, in advance, for your help!

I bet it's done. All the FG's are a range, not exact numbers. Give it another 2 days, take a reading. If it's the same, bottle away

Sounds like it is done to me too. Expected FG numbers are mere guidelines and are often missed for a variety of reasons. Extract batches have a long history of finishing high - the "curse of 1.020" - because some extracts have low fermentability.

I don't think your fermentation is stuck, I think it is done. But to be on the safe side, give it another few days and then check again.

What if it is done but you aren't ready to move to keg. I have been at FG for a few days now but am waiting on my brew partner to come back from vacation and my brew has been on primary for 3 weeks 3 days. Dumped trub a few times and the cylinder i use to test gravity is still pretty cloudy. Do I need to move it to a secondary to get the brew off the remaining sediment?

It depends on how flocculant the yeast is. Not to mention if it was tested ay a stable FG & what ferment temps were. If they were high,it could just now be cleaning up.

If you have the means to get it into a secondary, I would. That way you can relax dont worry.... and there is no rush for your buddy to come by. I wouldn't let my beer sit on trub for more than 4 weeks, but I am sure many of the more experienced brewers may help out more. Are you using a conical fermenter? If not, how did you do the trub dump?

I'd just let it sit. I've been following what appears to be conventional HBT wisdom and doing 4-6 week primaries and have been very happy with the results.

If you have the means to get it into a secondary, I would. That way you can relax dont worry.... and there is no rush for your buddy to come by. I wouldn't let my beer sit on trub for more than 4 weeks, but I am sure many of the more experienced brewers may help out more. Are you using a conical fermenter? If not, how did you do the trub dump?

Yea i use a 6.5 gal mini brew conical

Bk2X said:
Yea i use a 6.5 gal mini brew conical

Just leave it where it is, especially since it sounds like you've already got the beer off the yeast by pulling the yeast out. With a conical there is even less reason to move to secondary.

I ran into this on my second batch of brew (A stout with an OG of 1.060)...after 14 days I was @ 1.027 and it was supposed to be 1.024 or lower. I swirled the fermenter to rouse up the yeast, put it upstairs in my bedroom at 70 degrees and let it go another 10 days and it came down to 1.023 before bottling! Higher gravity beers just take longer sometimes.

Latest posts

Back