What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We bottled our Bedeviled Bourbon Porter (with vanilla bean and toasted oak). This one has been a challenge, ergo the name. See the full drama here if interested: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/lost-some-yeast-fermentation-very-slow-any-advice-437699/.

We also brewed a Black IPA extract kit from Northern Brewer. We've done this one before and really liked it. :mug:

And on my way home from Madison yesterday, I picked up a case worth of New Glarus and Ale Asylum beer. :ban:

Cleaned and organized the brewing area in my basement. It was a mess after this weekend... Brewed a bohemian pilsner and cleaned some kegs and kegged a Dubbel.

Cleaned and organized the brewing area in my basement. It was a mess after this weekend... Brewed a bohemian pilsner and cleaned some kegs and kegged a Dubbel.

If I had known how much cleaning was involved I may not have started brewing ;)

Kidding of course, but it is a lot of cleaning and I always end up soaking wet :drunk:

Bottled my first ever brew today. Had a buddy show up and drink my hydrometer sample right out from under my nose! Turned out pretty good though. Could have used more body but meh.... First time right?

You can't let the hydrometer sample be your gauge as to how the body of your beer came out.

The CO2 will have a huge impact on the mouthfeel and body of your beer. What kind of beer did you make and what temp did you mash/steep at?

Edit: oh yea and congrats on your first batch! :D

Calculated mash/decoction profiles for this weekend's Roggenbier and Weizenbock. Realized I forgot to grab rice hulls. Calculated water additions for the same. Calibrated my new refractometer. Put my Dusseldorf Alt up onto the counter for a last settling overnight before bottling it tomorrow night.

Today, I organized my brew area, inside my garage, and cleaned/sanitized a keg. I also "made space" in my fridge, by drinking some beers!:mug:

Made an immersion wort chiller, plumbed a separate hookup, under sink and brewed my first BIAB, a chocolate milk stout. I also put a small dent in one of my kegs (Hoptical illusion) while doing this! Ah, life is good.

8f minus whatever c outside cooling a batch of nb caribou slobber. Should be ready for st paddy's.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Home Brew mobile app

Calculated mash/decoction profiles for this weekend's Roggenbier and Weizenbock. Realized I forgot to grab rice hulls. Calculated water additions for the same. Calibrated my new refractometer. Put my Dusseldorf Alt up onto the counter for a last settling overnight before bottling it tomorrow night.

Nice man I see you are on a German kick lAtely. A Weizenbock and alt are my list of to do brews.hope the brews come out well. Cheers.

Oh and I drank some.

Nice man I see you are on a German kick lAtely. A Weizenbock and alt are my list of to do brews.hope the brews come out well. Cheers.

Oh and I drank some.

The three Alts all came out very well. I'll be tweaking the bigger ones should I brew them again (they taste just like the regular Alt, which I guess is good or bad depending on how you look at it, I was hoping for a little more oomph). But the Dusseldorf Alt tasted like a comp winner, at least before I "lagered" it. Haven't tasted it since. I'll find out tomorrow. And hopefully the Sticke and Doppelsticke will be better after "lagering" (where they go tomorrow).

As far as Roggenbier or Weizenbock, my first time with either of these styles, so who knows what'll happen.

The three Alts all came out very well. I'll be tweaking the bigger ones should I brew them again (they taste just like the regular Alt, which I guess is good or bad depending on how you look at it, I was hoping for a little more oomph). But the Dusseldorf Alt tasted like a comp winner, at least before I "lagered" it. Haven't tasted it since. I'll find out tomorrow. And hopefully the Sticke and Doppelsticke will be better after "lagering" (where they go tomorrow).

As far as Roggenbier or Weizenbock, my first time with either of these styles, so who knows what'll happen.

Any particular reason you decided to brew German lagers predominantly lately? Definitely a fun and seemingly not as treaded path on the homebrew level. I've only brewed traditional bock so far it has been my only lager. I plan on cranking out a couple before winter is through.

You can't let the hydrometer sample be your gauge as to how the body of your beer came out.

The CO2 will have a huge impact on the mouthfeel and body of your beer. What kind of beer did you make and what temp did you mash/steep at?

Edit: oh yea and congrats on your first batch! :D

Thanks for the tip! The brew was American Pale ale from a brewers best kit. Two 3.3lb cans of LME and some caramel malt to steep so no mash really.

I'm taking my Caribou Slobber to work today. My boss loved it and was wondering how close it came to Moose Drool (he has never had) so he picked up some MD for a blind side-by-side.

Any particular reason you decided to brew German lagers predominantly lately? Definitely a fun and seemingly not as treaded path on the homebrew level. I've only brewed traditional bock so far it has been my only lager. I plan on cranking out a couple before winter is through.

I buy ingredients in bulk when possible and repitch yeast. So it only made sense to do as a sequence.

Just wrapped up a decoction mash on my Oktoberfest. Into the boil kettle now we go!

Wrapped my Saison I brewed yesterday and started to raise the fermenter temps.

Just wrapped up a decoction mash on my Oktoberfest. Into the boil kettle now we go!

Wrapped my Saison I brewed yesterday and started to raise the fermenter temps.

Nicee. Looking forward to getting those in the next trade :ban:

How high are you going with the heat?

Nicee. Looking forward to getting those in the next trade :ban:

How high are you going with the heat?

Definitely will send some your way Dave!

This is a 3711 so prolly go into the low 80's and call it good.

My other saison, It is at about 93 right now. Knocking out the last few gravity points of this pesky Wyeast 3724.

Brewed 5 gallons if hefeweizen. Half if it im going to rack off and put on blueberrys

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

More like what did I do for MasterCard today...
Decided all grain / BIAB is the way of the future. 165 lbs of malt and a crusher. Need I say more?

Finally kicked the keg of fruit salad blonde, cleaned the beer lines, tapped some apfelwein, and threw 52 stubby bottles and a few bombers into oxyclean to be delabeled.

Hmmm pilsner, 2 row, anddd... A crystal malt of some kind? Hows my aim?
Not so great to be honest. 2 row, vienna - after hearing many good things about using it as a base/sole grain, and wheat. I can't keep my brew room cooled optimally during the summer months so I have a feeling that certain wits, hefes, and saisons will be the summer batches. Since I'm trying all kinds of styles all over the map, I didn't want to commit to a whole sack of specialty quite yet, I'll get them in the individual batch sizes for now. And I do have limited space after all.
Edit: Thinking I might add a dash of wheat to most beers, and clarify as best as possible. I can never seem to get a head to last more than 30 seconds. It'll come with time.
/Edit
I am aware of single room AC units, swamp coolers, wet t-shirt carboys, large buckets of ice water, problem is it just doesn't work for me. Work often has me away from home for a couple days, meaning the "wet" solutions will either stop working or cause unchecked condensation issues, and anything that requires cooling is going to both increase power consumption and make my AC need to work that much harder. Perhaps next year.

$300 or so for it all I'd guess?
Not too far off. $327 CAD and that included the filter bag. If adjusted for exchange rate you'd be bang on. Damn our exchange rate took a good slapping the past month.

Bottled my Dusseldorf Alt. Racked its bigger brothers, Sticke and Doppelsticke to secondary for "lagering" for a month or two (the Alts are at 5% ABV, 6.5% ABV, and 8.5% ABV respectively). Put my Maris Otter/Willamette SMaSH up on the counter to bottle tomorrow night.

Not so great to be honest. 2 row, vienna - after hearing many good things about using it as a base/sole grain, and wheat. I can't keep my brew room cooled optimally during the summer months so I have a feeling that certain wits, hefes, and saisons will be the summer batches. Since I'm trying all kinds of styles all over the map, I didn't want to commit to a whole sack of specialty quite yet, I'll get them in the individual batch sizes for now. And I do have limited space after all.
Edit: Thinking I might add a dash of wheat to most beers, and clarify as best as possible. I can never seem to get a head to last more than 30 seconds. It'll come with time.
/Edit
I am aware of single room AC units, swamp coolers, wet t-shirt carboys, large buckets of ice water, problem is it just doesn't work for me. Work often has me away from home for a couple days, meaning the "wet" solutions will either stop working or cause unchecked condensation issues, and anything that requires cooling is going to both increase power consumption and make my AC need to work that much harder. Perhaps next year.

Not too far off. $327 CAD and that included the filter bag. If adjusted for exchange rate you'd be bang on. Damn our exchange rate took a good slapping the past month.

At least one of us has good aim! Haha 1/3 ain't too bad. :D

Bought a 10 gallon water cooler from amazon, false bottom from eBay and bulkheads/ valves for that and my 5 gallon water cooler

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

Worked on getting the roll cart put together. Still have a lot to go, but trying to get this together with a broken dominant hand...

87127ace90f0734f5247d77fb6333f56.jpg

I put a bunch of stickers on my newly build kegerator

DSC_0525-X2.jpg

And I built and installed a $10 homemade drip pan

DSC_0526-XL.jpg

From the angle of the picture, it looks like it's not under the taps, but everything is lined up correctly. :D

Bottled my Maris Otter/Willamette SMaSH. Made a small starter (as in 1 liter, explicitly doing a simple starter without the stir plate, not even shaking it) to build up the pitch rate just a touch for tomorrow's Roggenbier. I'm aiming for a controlled underpitch, but I sat on the smack pack of 3068 a little too long.

Then pulled a couple beers out of the "cellar" for my birthday, Westy 12 and The Bruery Tart of Darkness.

Did some house cleaning, then went to the HBS and picked up what ingredients I need for a 10 G clone of buffalo sweat. Gotta get my starter going now, so I can brew tomorrow while hung over.

Back