can anyone identify this tree? it smells amazing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
close up of the needles

PC120090.jpg

the tree

PC120093.jpg

Was thinking of using it in an ale.

kinda piny, lemony type smell, hard to describe. I've been looking on the internet to try and figure it out, but since the needles are so clustered its hard to find a match

Bob is looking it up- but he says it's a juniper but isn't sure of the exact species without looking it up.

I assume it's not a native tree, but instead a yard specimen? The problem with identifying yard specimens is that they could be European or Asian plants, and any number of plants.

my first thought was a juniper also, but the lemony smell would be different from the junipers we had growing up. Our junipers had more of a gin type smell to them from the wierd blue-green colored berries.

Bob is looking it up- but he says it's a juniper but isn't sure of the exact species without looking it up.

I assume it's not a native tree, but instead a yard specimen? The problem with identifying yard specimens is that they could be European or Asian plants, and any number of plants.

Almost looks like a blue, but hard to tell with the pic?

it is kinda blue, and yes it was here when I moved in, dont think its native to BC. thanks for the help guys. If anyones for sure, please do let me know!

hmm, possibly, its never produced any cones or berries though. May still be young. I've been here 6 years now. Thanks for the help guys!

I think the same tree is growing outside my parents house. No idea what it is though, will ask later tonight.

I've never seen it fruit or flower or anything either, and has been there at least 20 years.

I don't think it's the Juniperus scopulorum, the leaves definitely have a bluish color and the little leaves think look different to that close up. Could be the 'blue arrow' varietal they mention further down in the entry?

Try a blue spruce. It grows 6-12 inches a year. It is often found in landscapes because of its color hue and that it grows relatively slow. One of my fave trees in the world though the pic of the branch looked a bit smashed. I does smell great all year around and I have dried the needles and put them in a poperi pot for the smell. It may add a great sent to a seasonal. I'll try it too.

TXmoonshine said:
Try a blue spruce. It grows 6-12 inches a year. It is often found in landscapes because of its color hue and that it grows relatively slow. One of my fave trees in the world though the pic of the branch looked a bit smashed. I does smell great all year around and I have dried the needles and put them in a poperi pot for the smell. It may add a great sent to a seasonal. I'll try it too.

It doesn't look like a blue spruce. I agree that it looks like some sort of juniper. Could be an eastern red cedar, which is actually a type of juniper.

It doesn't look like a blue spruce. I agree that it looks like some sort of juniper. Could be an eastern red cedar, which is actually a type of juniper.

Bob says it's either a non-native juniper from asia, or it could be a Western Red Cedar (probably not eastern) but indeed a juniper, but he really feels it's that Rocky Mountain Juniper, if not positively identified as otherwise.

ill just go with rocky mountain juniper. thanks Yooper and Bob. hmm if its cedar then its toxic. Maybe ill go to a nursery and get it checked

BYO last month had an article about using juniper boughs in a traditional Swedish brew. I was reading it last night. The recipe called for over 4lbs if you could get the real thing.

If it is a juniper I think there is probably little to worry about in terms of toxicity. Juniper berries are one of the predominant flavors (besides alcohol) in Bombay Gin. The distillation is done through a bed of juniper berries so that some of the aromatics are infused into the alcohol.

I think it's not a juniper but rather it's a Boulevard Cypress (Chamaecyparis pisifera)

Your right! Got it checked today. So Im guessing probably not good to brew with as it can irritate your skin, not sure how it would be if you ingested it.

Back