does a super-sized igloo round cooler exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my cooler rig as it is today, 10 gallon cooler with false bottom. However, mashing enough grain for a 10 gallon batch is quite a challenge to stir (low efficiency) and sometimes I've had to do three batch sparges... yes, three sparges (pain in the ass).

I like the round igloo cooler b/c it holds heat exceptionally well and the false bottom beats the crap out of a manifold or a ss braid in my experience. However, 10 gallons seems to be the biggest available.

Is there a larger version?

There's a 109qt Igloo one, but it doesn't have the same type of lid. This one has a thinner, see-through lid. It's really designed for parties where people reach in and grab cans of beer/soda, but it does have a drain on it.

If I were you and really wanted a bigger cooler, I'd go rectangular...tons of options there.

you could cut the bottom out of a 7 gallon and mount it on a 10 gallon. That would be awesomely tall.

While I know it is not an optimal solution, you could use 2 coolers for a double batch and run both off into a single kettle. Not sure how hard this would be to manage but I guessit would work OK. Or ditch the cooler and go BiaB in a 20 gallon pot. :)

Just a thought.

John

My 10 gallon cooler works fine for 10 gallon batches, admittedly I fly sparge and don't have a problem mashing tight.

Why is it that you are asking about only round coolers? Square coolers offer the same process as round and with almost no modifications, the "guts" you used for your round igloo will work in a square cooler.

I've got a square 72 quart that I love. My only problem I've come across is doing session beers. The grainbill is so small, I get more heat loss. It's not awful, but noticeable. Anything over 1.050, no problems.

Have you tried fly sparging and Parti-gyle for reducing gravities... think there is a wiki here.

Found this too

http://www.antiochsudsuckers.com/tom/parti-gyle.htm

I use a cpvc manifold & a large grain bag to prevent stuck sparges (insurance policy). I worry after having a stuck sparge that sucked, but came out one of my best beers... just had a bit of a spill and lost some. sigh, shame I fed the lawn with that gallon...

Back