Dry hopped floaters in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbaker

Reaction score
I've been dry hopping an IIPA in secondary for almost 4 weeks now, after 10 days in primary. I put in 7 oz of pellet hops for the dry hop and have seen them fall out of suspension and then return to float at the top the very next day. It has done this twice now and at the moment I have a 1/2 inch of floaters in my carboy.

I am wondering if they will ever fall out for good so I can bottle the darn thing. Is this typical? Any time frame I should keep in mind or suggestions are much appreciated.

If you use an auto-siphon or racking cane to get your beer into the bottling bucket, it shouldn't matter. Also, you could always strain your beer when you get it out of the primary. You don't need anything fine. I suppose some cheesecloth would work perfectly well to get big chunks out.

at 4 weeks into the dry hopping, you are pretty much set...time to rack and bottle. Last time I had a problem with hop trub in the beer, a piece of fine mesh window screen over the spigot inlet worked great at keeping it out of the bottles.

Latest posts

Back