Good commercial examples of Vienna style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makomachine

Reaction score
So I've had many of the Oktoberfest/Marzen commercial beers and recently brewed one myself. I'm really getting into my lagers and thought I might try a Vienna to go beside the Oktoberfest for my Oktoberfest party. I know these beers are cousins and just wanted to pick up a commercial example to see how they differ side by side. Any good commercial offerings you know of for Vienna? And is this worth a brew?

From the BJCP Style Guidelines:
Great Lakes Eliot Ness (unusual in its 6.2% strength and 35 IBUs), Boulevard Bobs 47 Munich-Style Lager, Negra Modelo, Old Dominion Aviator Amber Lager, Gordon Biersch Vienna Lager, Capital Wisconsin Amber, Olde Saratoga Lager, Penn Pilsner

Dos Equis Amber Lager and Negra Modelo are some decent, commonly available, Vienna lagers.

The style fell out of favor in Vienna but was carried on by Austrian immigrants in Mexico.

Thanks guys - appreciate the input. Will have to see what my local store carries on this list.

Revvy - thanks for pointing me to your recipe as it looks like something I might try. I like how it leans so hard on the Vienna which should differentiate it from my Oktoberfest from BCS. Lots of Munich in their Vienna as well and didn't think there would be enough to set the two beers apart to be honest.

Revvy,
I'm not set up to lager but I've really liked the taste Vienna adds as a specialty grain in my pale ales.

What do you think about fermenting your Vienna with a clean ale yeast. SA-05 for example?

OP, sorry for the hijack. Somewhat On Topic: It looks like I'll be in Munich this September on business.

So I've had many of the Oktoberfest/Marzen commercial beers and recently brewed one myself. I'm really getting into my lagers and thought I might try a Vienna to go beside the Oktoberfest for my Oktoberfest party. I know these beers are cousins and just wanted to pick up a commercial example to see how they differ side by side. Any good commercial offerings you know of for Vienna? And is this worth a brew?

I just did a Vienna Lager and made it as stupid simple as possible and it turned out awesome, 100% German Vienna and 20 ibu's of any Nob;e hop at 60 minute, for yeast I prefer a malt forward yeast, WLP833 (my favorite), WLP 820, or WLP 838 will even work.

Granted its a tad light for the style (add a ounce or two of carafa to get it in range, if thats important), but I did a Double Decoction mash so it darkened it up to a nice deep copper color. Either way you must do a decoction whatever you do. :mug:

Tried Dos Equis Amber last night as it was available at the restaurant we happened to be at. Not bad at all and still plan on picking up some of the others for comparison. Think it will be a worthwhile brew to have both an Oktoberfest and Vienna available - thanks for the input!

I did Bradsul's Vienna Lager: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/brads-vienna-lager-80356/ Simple, true to style, and perfect representative of a Vienna lager. I'd highly recommend 100% Vienna malt along with the decoctions.

If you want another lager that's different (I think a Vienna is fairly close to an Oktoberfest in some ways), I'd recommend something either lighter or darker. As a good contrast to the Oktoberfest, I'd prefer a bock or schwartzbier for a darker lager. Or, I'd go the other way and have a light lager, like a pilsner.

Of course, a good Vienna lager is a great drink. I just usually prefer something different along side of a similar beer.

You can only get it on tap and in Texas. But if you have a chance to try it I'm a big fan of the Live Oak Big Bark Amber Lager. Which is a Vienna lager to the t.

Latest posts

Back