Counter-Flow Wort Chiller - Lube Not Needed (sorta)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManVA

Reaction score
So before I made mine I read a bunch of a posts about how to get the copper tubing through the hose.

You might think that pushing a 3/8" OD tube inside of a 5/8" ID hose would be easy but as everyone says...it's not. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense that it would be difficult. Each time the copper comes in contact w/ the (dry) rubber inner hose there is friction. Add that little bit up over several feet of hose and you're not going anywhere.

So what I did was attach one end of my hose to the hot water heater discharge. I left the little plastic cover on the end of my copper tube and fed it in the other end of the hose. With the hot water on, the copper tube slide in the entire length w/ no problem at all.

Hope this helps someone. I suppose soap and grease are good options but I decided to give this a go. Worked nice for me!

Cheers and beers!

Excellent idea! Thanks for sharing that.

I went with soap. The last five feet were a total pain in the butt. I won't be doing that again anytime soon hopefully...

Back