The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came here to confess a fetishistic dream I have of the ultimate soccer team. I dream of a team with Joey Barton, Suarez, Pepe, El Pescadito(Carlos Ruiz), Zlatan, and Ballotelli plus a few more to make the soccer version of the Hanson brothers(Slapshot the movie) come to life.

On a serious note mls added another 400k of TAM for a total of 1.2 mil per team next year. Another small step forward.

Atlanta has been aggressive in their roster building an the 23 yr old Argetine they just signed is a huge get for them and mls. Arsenal tried signing him this summer, allegedly ATL is paying 8 million in salary to him plus a 16 million transfer fee. Lots to like going on there even without this news.

Very curious to see where LAGs go in coaching and DP search. Khedira would make sense and has been linked to the club.

What you peeps make out about the failures of the NASL - I am hearing a merger between the USL & the NASL - I guess NY Cosmos, Rayo OKC and Ft Lauderdale are going to die - Supposedly there will be something like 40 teams in the New & Improved version of the USL & that will be Division 2 in the USA & Canada. :eek:

What you peeps make out about the failures of the NASL - I am hearing a merger between the USL & the NASL - I guess NY Cosmos, Rayo OKC and Ft Lauderdale are going to die - Supposedly there will be something like 40 teams in the New & Improved version of the USL & that will be Division 2 in the USA & Canada. :eek:
Generally a bad thing. However in raw calculus couched in economic terminology if this eliminates bad assets allowing their liquidation and the pieces of good assets to be better allocated/used soccer like any economy or company that eliminates failures and invests in successful ventures is far better off!

I'm going to disagree here and say the death of NASL is a good thing. It's bad in the sense that we're losing an entire soccer league and that means there's nobody pressing MLS to improve, but NASL's leadership, such as it was, was actively caustic in regards to player development for the US player pool; in all the years of new NASL's existence, they only had a major hand in developing one vaguely notable US player, Mike Grella (currently of the NYRB). Most owners had no stake in the local city and little incentive to try to develop young talent, so they didn't. New NASL's constant clamoring that there should be pro/rel in the US Soccer pyramid and they they should be division 1 while doing nothing to even prove they should be even 2nd tier actively hurt US Soccer's efforts to create an actual player development pool. In the end, player development was actively, deliberately bypassing NASL, going through the USL and the MLS academies to MLS with no step in between to NASL; that's not the sign of a 2nd tier league helping develop young talent for the 1st tier and national team, it's the opposite.

Amazingly happy the Sounders won, even if I'm not sure they "deserved" to win. Stefan Frei absolutely stood on his head that game. Sucks for Toronto, but only one team can win each year, better luck next time.

This whole expansion draft is a joke. Clearly ATL United didn't really need it to build their roster. They can lay down nearly $8 million in DP money and draft players with the intention to sell them back to the team they've taken them from for $. It's a sham. It probably once served a purpose but it's long past time to eliminate it.

Also, I bet the rest of the global soccer community is wondering how in the world clubs can take other club's players without compensation.

I don't completely understand the MLS single entity organization....but, right now I don't care:

MLS-Cup-Sounders.png

How stupid can he be? Was the first goal clearly offsides? Sure. But the second is onside (technically I could see them saying the keeper was interfered with, but that's almost never called and it's iffy there). Either way, insulting the referees is not going to get you very far.

So looking at USMNT selection under Arena.

First off it's huge. 32 guys in camp is a lot.

Second the list of why even bother players. Stefan Frei, Nick Rimando, Chad Marshall, Sebastian Lletget, and old guys like Wondo. Those 5 cuts at least bring down to 27.which is more reasonable and manageable.

Looking at his roster, the MLS best XI USMNT would have to be.

GK - Hamid
LB - Garza
CB - Birnbaum
CB - Zimmerman
RB - Rosenbury
CDM - Trapp
CDM - Bradley
RAM - Bedoya
CAM - Kljestan
LAM - Morris
ST - Jozy

Maybe swap Acosta for Trapp. Maybe put Nagbe for someone else.

I have to say that I'm pretty frustrated with the roster. This is a great chance to bring in some young talent like Christian Roldan, Thomas McNamara or Tommy Redding and Arena failed to do so. There's no way guys like Jones, Wondo or Beasely make Russia 2018, why even bother?

Jones could and probably will unless guys like Trapp take the next step.

Beasley I kinda get because there's no USMNT fullback depth, especially none available for Camp Cupcake. As Yedlin, Johnson, Chandler, Castillo, and Lichaj are all in Europe or Mexico. Though, you can easily make a case that right now Matt Besler is a better full back that DeMarcus Beasley, and Besler was excluded from the roster.

Wondo though I don't get. Why not bring on Shelton?

Related, I don't understand the choice of bringing Feilhaber over Nguyen. Feilhaber is older and not much if at all better. Personally I'd rather see someone younger than Feilhaber or Nguyhen on the roster

Overall Arena's lineup bad choice is like a combination of him reading MLS subreddit to see who people have been pissed off for Jurgen "snubbing" (Feilhaber, Dax, and Marshall) and him being in MLS too long (Wondo, Robles, Frei, Rimando, Marshall)

Meanwhile you have young talents like you mentioned, also for a team that's missing fullback depth (to the point that Arena listed Zusi as a defender) why the heck aren't you picking Hollingshead? Or Polster?

Also what about Kelyn Rowe? Why isn't he getting a look? He's youngish, and has been one of the best MLS central mids for a few years now. You'd think Arena's ties to MLS would bring Rowe in.

He toiled on the bench in New York.

Hopefully they sell him to a team who'll play him. Though with Lampard retiring they may be able to open up a spot for Mix if they stick with the 4-3-3

Jones could and probably will unless guys like Trapp take the next step.

Beasley I kinda get because there's no USMNT fullback depth, especially none available for Camp Cupcake. As Yedlin, Johnson, Chandler, Castillo, and Lichaj are all in Europe or Mexico. Though, you can easily make a case that right now Matt Besler is a better full back that DeMarcus Beasley, and Besler was excluded from the roster.

Wondo though I don't get. Why not bring on Shelton?

Related, I don't understand the choice of bringing Feilhaber over Nguyen. Feilhaber is older and not much if at all better. Personally I'd rather see someone younger than Feilhaber or Nguyhen on the roster

Overall Arena's lineup bad choice is like a combination of him reading MLS subreddit to see who people have been pissed off for Jurgen "snubbing" (Feilhaber, Dax, and Marshall) and him being in MLS too long (Wondo, Robles, Frei, Rimando, Marshall)

Meanwhile you have young talents like you mentioned, also for a team that's missing fullback depth (to the point that Arena listed Zusi as a defender) why the heck aren't you picking Hollingshead? Or Polster?

Also what about Kelyn Rowe? Why isn't he getting a look? He's youngish, and has been one of the best MLS central mids for a few years now. You'd think Arena's ties to MLS would bring Rowe in.

Rowe is good, and should get a look. Hollingshead is, in my opinion, just okay, and not really good enough for the USMNT (though perfectly fine in MLS terms). Polster, I don't think, is anywhere close to being an international-caliber talent at center back right now (though maybe in the future); he stands out in Chicago because they are so god-awful.

Rowe is good, and should get a look. Hollingshead is, in my opinion, just okay, and not really good enough for the USMNT (though perfectly fine in MLS terms). Polster, I don't think, is anywhere close to being an international-caliber talent at center back right now (though maybe in the future); he stands out in Chicago because they are so god-awful.

I don't think Hollingshead or Polster are exceptionally good players. Just think if you're gonna make a 32 man MLS based USMNT that they should be included. I'd much rather give Polster or Hollingshead (though he's hurt of course) than Beasley and Marshall who have no shot of making Russia and only will play if we have a ton of injuries.

If I was building a US top 23 right now.

GK - Howard, Guzan, Horvath
DF - Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin, Chandler, Fabjo, Gonzalez, Birnbaum
MF - Bradley, Kljestan, Bedoya, Acosta, Kitchen, Nagbe, Jones
FW - Pulisic, WOod, Zardes, Jozy, Johannssson, Morris

Would be a 4-4-2

Howard
RB - Yedlin
CB - Cameron
CB - Brooks
LB - Fabjo
CDM - Bradley
CAM - Kljestan
RAM - Zardes
LAM - Pulisic
ST - Jozy
ST - Wood

I'd agree with that line up, for the most part. Harry Shipp might be better than Nagbe in the long run, but both have had ups and downs in their performances.

When was the last time Geoff Cameron played? Right now I don't think he should be a starter until he gets some games under his belt

Cameron is still injured, once he's full strength I think he'll be back to being a starter for both Stoke and the USMNT.

I was just driving north of Norwalk OH. Saw a car decorated with Southampton Saints stickers. It was Laughing Gnome Invisible. Crazy small world.
The Saints need 3 points this weekend. Hopefully they can right the ship v. the Foxes

The new White Hart Lane, or whatever the new Spurs ground will be named, will have a brewery onsite.

Looks like I'm gonna apply.

Or at least push for a collaboration. One of our investors is a Yiddo and one of our owners has joked about our tap room being the home of the local (outer burb) Spurs supporters club, to the point of almost officially registering as such. Of course I'm closer to the official club closer into town, but still.

Point is, wonder if I can't make the sell on my end to fly brewer and investor to London to see a match and brew a collaborative beer.

Of course the volume they are talking about could never actually be brewed at the grounds, would be contract brewed elsewhere and brought in.

But I can dream in either case.

Enough to make me look into whether or not I actually forfeited my UK citizenship to obtain US citizenship. Hearing different stories but while I've been led to believe I was no longer a UK citizen, might not be the case...

I was just driving north of Norwalk OH. Saw a car decorated with Southampton Saints stickers. It was Laughing Gnome Invisible. Crazy small world.
The Saints need 3 points this weekend. Hopefully they can right the ship v. the Foxes

I can confirm that Mr. Jass a very perdy and personable lady wife too, they make an attractive couple. I, however was not wearing my teeth! :rockin:

Saints currently winning 2-0 :)

Stl Board of Aldermen approve MLS stadium financing bill 20-7.

(Via KMOV News)

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – Friday, the St. Louis City Board of Aldermen approved the stadium funding bill to build a soccer stadium in St. Louis.

The board approved the funding 20-7. Now, a judge will have to sign off on the measure before it will appear on the April ballot.

Earlier in the week, SC-STL formally submitted an application to the MLS for an expansion team to be brought to the city.

A study done by Missouri Wonk shows a soccer stadium has the possibility of bringing more money and activity into the area. It is also estimated to create 450 jobs during the start-up and construction period, and 428 permanent jobs.

The study also shows the stadium could bring $556 million in value to the City of St. Louis economy along with generating almost $78 million in local taxes and fees.

If the measure appears on the ballot, voters will be asked to approve a half-cent sales tax increase, as well as vote on using the money to help build the stadium.

Copyright 2017 KMOV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

one of the greatest goals I have ever seen & yes I want Wenger to stay

Last edited by a moderator:
2014/15: Chelsea win the Premier League. 2015/16: Mourinho sacked.
2015/16: Leicester win the Premier league 2016/17: Ranieri sacked.

C5YBg-1XUAIPQjd.jpg

moral of the story? Don't win the EPL Title :p

Back