What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20130205_204057_zps1363d5fe.jpg

"CCCA" (Chinook, Columbus, Cascade, Amarillo) Black IPA. Er... Cascadian Dark Ale... American Stout. Whatever. An opaque beer that I brewed.

Gah, I must be getting tipsified if I posted that. Sorry, it's been two weeks since we did the tasting and my head is still so dang big I don't know what to do with myself. On another, smaller, homebrew forum we set up a funky beer swap. I emailed Oldsock aka the Mad Fermentationist seeing if he'd be our 'celeb' taster. He didn't think he fit the bill, but suggested a few pros who might be receptive to participating, Shaun (and Dan, his assistant) included.

But seriously, while I'm bragging, Shaun Hill likes my homebrew saison! Mashed in a cooler and boiled in a keg on my back porch. I even had to entice a couple pigs back into the fence while I was brewing this one, don't get more farmhouse than that. :mug: Course they're both sausage and bacon now.

Anywho, sorry for the bragging.

60% pale malt
20% heritage (vienna/municish)
20% red (turkey) wheat
10% Turbinado

(yeah, that's 110%, if it doesn't make sense, malt % is weight and sugar is extract)

1.062 OG, fermented with ECY03, bottled at 1.005

Barley is 6 row, turkey is a heritage wheat. Grown in NC and malted by Brian & Brent at Riverbend in Asheville. Whoops, sub abruzzi rye for turkey wheat- this is a rye saison - I used wheat in the nelson dry hopped version.

90 minute boil. Bittered with a half + an eighth oz citra at 60, qtr + 8th ea citra and nelson at 15 and flameout, dry hopped oz citra 1 week.

It's a freaking good beer. I didn't adjust my water at all and because this is a pale beer, I've been told to make sure kettle pH is 5.2. Did that on the last batch of petite saison with lactic acid. Still in fermenter, but wow! Makes the difference from 'really, really good - did I brew this?' to 'wow, who snuck fancy beer into my fermenter?'

Kudos, thanks for the info, and cheers!

Oh yeah, the thread, I just cracked a Victory Yakima Glory, and dang that is a sneaky 8.7%

WesleyBrewViking said:
I actually got the tequila to make margaritas for my wife and it's been sitting around half-full for a long time. Thought I'd finish it off.

For someone who doesn't like a lot of tequila (had a bad, bad, bad experience with Cuervo Gold one time) I have quite a bit around the house. I guess I'll use it all eventually.

Schlafly pumpkin ale,Im ageing the other sixer that I bit off more than I could chew(bought too much) when It first came out last fall(or should I say last end of summer).In hopes of likeing it better aged. This end of the first sixer still tastes strongly like big red gum,very or too big on cinnamon, but it was in the fridge the whole time also. Still makes for a nice malty winter-spice beer though. Nice and warming,sweet beer treat.

I get no skunk at all, but there's clearly an a$$ ton of Citra in the late hops. I'm also getting quite a bit of malt sweetness, more than you typically find in a Lagunitas brew. I don't know how you're getting a mouthful of pennies, but we all have different palates, so you're clearly getting something I am not.

I agree ... The Citra comes on strong and I don't get that after taste either.

Firestone Pale 31. A little astringent and a bit salty but its still pretty frookin good. Pretty nice for its abv as well.

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. For 9.2% it's pretty light bodied, and highly carbed for the style. Not much coffee coming through, nonetheless a great beer to sip on after a long day at work.

On my second one. :drunk:

Second what with that little drunk face? 4 pack? case? Nuke, man, myth, legend :drunk: on a couple tall boys with a pacifist robot on the can? I could almost dancing banana or rainbow afro you right now.

admiring Ruination from Stone. I found the Stone Brewing variety pack of 8 bombers at my local Costco in San Diego, CA. picked up two of those boxes, score! haha.

nukebrewer said:
I get no skunk at all, but there's clearly an a$$ ton of Citra in the late hops. I'm also getting quite a bit of malt sweetness, more than you typically find in a Lagunitas brew. I don't know how you're getting a mouthful of pennies, but we all have different palates, so you're clearly getting something I am not.

It is sweeter, I think I calculated the FG to be 1.023 or something like that, pretty sweet actually but balanced. Truly delicious. No pennies at all.

Second what with that little drunk face? 4 pack? case? Nuke, man, myth, legend :drunk: on a couple tall boys with a pacifist robot on the can? I could almost dancing banana or rainbow afro you right now.

The :drunk: is because everything I had before the Gandhi-bot. And at 8.8% two of them stacked on the rest gets you a little drunk. And for the record, I'm not that drunk, but the drunk face was the most appropriate :mug:

Also, I'm having another Sucks. :D

20130205_202500.jpg

bottlebomber said:
Margaritaville is worse... :O===

I haven't had margaritaville so I'll take your word for it. Tequila and I have a bad history together, so I do what I can to avoid it unless its in a cocktail. I once was drinking straight Cuervo gold with beer and next thing you know half the bottle of tequila is gone and I had no clue I even drank that much. Bad things happened that night, bad things. (Well, not that bad, but bad for me. I'm not known for crazy behavior.) What's worse than just blacking out and waking up the next morning? Remembering everything!

Got home around 1:00 this afternoon after a 14 hour, 380 mile train trip. Had a Leffe Blonde, now I'm getting ready to dig into a stout before bed.

Almost went for my last 3 Beans, but decided to make it an all hops night. Two Sucks, two Gandhi-bots, two O'Ryelys (including this one) and a Hoptical Illusion.

EDIT: on second thought, I don't want the Hoptical Illusion to feel left out, so I'll have that before I pack it in.:ban:

20130205_193200.jpg

Back