My pipeline is never big enough (a rant........kind of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCarnie

Reaction score
So it seems that between me, my brother, the casual friends being over, and a growler as a gift now and then, I can't brew regularly enough. I have been trying some larger batches (10-15 gallons), but I only have 2 kegs and 2 taps on my fridge, so most of the time 1 of the taps is always down because something is being carbed. I'm pretty sure i have enough fermenters to keep up though, 3 6.5g carboys, 1 6g and 1 3g. I'm not really sure where i'm going with this. what would you do to help out my small situation.

More kegs to condition in, and more stinginess with your liquid gold. Seriously, a growler puts a sizeable dent in the keg. Get a Biermuncher bottle filler and give them 12 or 22 oz bottles instead.

Well..... my LHBS is out and has been out of kegs for a while. I almost wanna bottle a couple of batches, but the big thing that got me kegging was bottle bombs.

Bottling is your friend.

I never went to kegging because I didn't want to have to buy 10 kegs to keep the diversity of beer that I like to brew. Also, I always end up saving a few of the bottles from each batch to try after 1 year. Keeping 24 oz in a keg to sample in a year just wouldn't work.

Well..... my LHBS is out and has been out of kegs for a while. I almost wanna bottle a couple of batches, but the big thing that got me kegging was bottle bombs.

There are often kegs for sale around here and many online vendors offer them. You need more kegs and fridge large enough to keep them. Ideally you'd have a fridge large enough to hold double the kegs as you have taps. That way you could have a full line up chilled and carbed just waiting for an opening. And quit giving so much away. It seems people think that since it's homebrew, it's free. These people wouldn't expect to drink all your beer if you bought it from the store would they?

You should be kegging because it's what you prefer, not because you're bottling wrong. :) You should really try to fix that process... just to say you can do it, even if you don't do it regularly. :)

I feel you. My family drinks through my beer and wine. Which I don't mind cause they seem to enjoy it. But it is a lot of work that disappears quickly.

I am still using my "starter" equipment and I can't keep my pipeline full. I need a mashtun and a bigger pot so I can do full boils.

i brew for 1 and drink for 10 so i always have problems... but it stems from a lack of motivation... in fact i have ingredients lying about to make 80 gallons.. well, i'm off to make some yeast fornicate. :tank:

+1 to fixing the bottle bomb issue, I've bottled a few thousand bottles and never once had a bottle bomb, even in a 2 year old infected stout that's been stored in bottles the whole time. You're doing something basic wrong, so find out what that is. I'd suspect it'll be a case of bottling too soon.

Back