My Pumpkin Spice Ale - HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig_reed

Reaction score
My question is how long should I leave this beer in the secondary? I left it in the primary for 2 weeks. I know the answer is when it is done fermenting, but anyboy have some experience with their pumpkin ales? Should I move it to the bottles quicker? Or let it chill out in the secondary for a couple weeks total? (been 10 days in secondary so far).

Any help would be appreciated! I have included my beersmith below:

Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Ale
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Craig Reed
Boil Size: 4.08 gal Asst Brewer: Lindsey Holton
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 87.50 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 32.8 IBU
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.25 tsp Ground Allspice (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 20.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp Ground Nutmeg (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Ground Cinnamon (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tbsp Vanilla Extract (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
4.00 lb Pumpkin (cubed) (Boil 35.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.051 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.17 %
Bitterness: 41.0 IBU
Est Color: 9.6 SRM

Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 14.0 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Notes

First time brewing this take on a pumpkin spice ale. Changed the recipe around quite a bit and added the Mt. Hood hops to the primary fermenter for the first 7 days. Added 2 tbsp of pure vanilla extract at flameout and may add more to secondary fermenter to rack on top. WIll keep you posted.

Decided not to add vanilla to the secondary - I plan on tasting prior to bottling and possibly adding vanilla to priming solution.

Decided not to add any further vanilla. Racked to secondary on September 24th. Will leave in secondary for at least a week, maybe two.
UPDATE: Racked to secondary after14 days in the primary fermenter. Decided not to add any further vanilla to the beer to see how the flavors all meld after 10-14 more days in the secondary. If needed after I taste it then, I will add some vanilla to the priming sugar mixture prior to bottling.

UPDATE: Decided I am going to use brown sugar as my priming solution agent - very excited to bottle!

I just left my pumpkin ale in the primary for a month then bottled. I think you're fine to bottle it now and just let it sit in the bottle at least a month if you can wait that long.

Back