60qt Pot over 2 burners on electric stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepDiver

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a 60qt pot across 2 burners. I'm thinking about ordering a new pot, and due to current living arrangements, cooking outside is not an option. The pot is big enough that it will go across the stove and cover about 3/4 of each of my big burners. I'm wondering if this will work good enough to get a good boil going.

Anyone try it before?

How much liquid will be in said pot? Are you trying for 10 gallon batches? That would be boiling 11-12 gallons? In my electric stove experience I would say it's not going to boil, but I have used gas for 90% of my hb career.

How much liquid will be in said pot? Are you trying for 10 gallon batches? That would be boiling 11-12 gallons? In my electric stove experience I would say it's not going to boil, but I have used gas for 90% of my hb career.

Planning on 5 Gal BIAB batches so ~7gal of water. It's a flat top stove with one high output burner and one normal burner. I've used a similar set up for a flat top griddle, but that takes a lot less horse power than boiling 7 gals of water.

Mine won't do it. I built a heatstick to use in conjunction with my pot straddled over two burners and it works great. Usually only have to turn the burners on half way to get a strong boil. This is with full boils, 6-7g

I have a 40 liter I used for 5 gallon batches. When my e-kettle did not work the first time I tried to use it, I was stuck with 11 gallons of wort. I put 8 in the 40 liter and straddled two burners and boiled the remainder in another pot.

It took a long time to get it to boil but it worked. One important thing is to get aluminum if you go this route as it conducts better and you will need everything in your favor. As suggested a heat stick may be needed to get it to the final temp to boil.

I almost always use 2 burners with my 38 qt. aluminum pot. My stove is gas though, so the pot fits perfectly from the flame edge of one ring to the other, so almost all of the heat is being applied to the kettle. I get a double rolling boil on both sides every time.

I did this, and it worked fairly well (though there are odd looking burner marks on the inside of the pot). If you still don't get enough heat use tin foil to cover the exposed parts of the burners and make a kind of tent with the kettle, trapping the hot air. Do this before you turn them on, it's much easier.

I have to use all 4 burners on my crappy apartment stove. I have a 60 gallon pot. I can boil 7 gallons, but it's pretty slow.

B

Wouldn't work for me and I melted the stove knobs and discolored part off the stove top. I built a heat stick and that along with my 2600 watt canning element can get 12 gallons to a solid boil.

I love the heat stick.

+1 to the magic of a heatstick. I built one recently for about $45, and it is AMAZING. Even if the pot fits over both burners, electric stoves (from my experience) really suck at making water boil. I now use a glass-top electric stove...should be efficient right?..not enough. Just one 1500w heatstick, and I don't even use the stove during the boil! just to help get it up to boiling temp. It's pretty easy to build too. Here's the link:

http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

I did this, and it worked fairly well (though there are odd looking burner marks on the inside of the pot). If you still don't get enough heat use tin foil to cover the exposed parts of the burners and make a kind of tent with the kettle, trapping the hot air. Do this before you turn them on, it's much easier.

I love that. :mug:

I built a 1500W heatstick but then I realized all my breakers are 15A and I'd pretty much be maxing out the load with it. Which I am hesitant to do unless an electrician comes and looks at the wiring and tells me it's OK.

I know this thread was about using 2 burners with an electric stove, but I thought I'd post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I would like to use my gas stove for full boil all grain 5 gallon batches. For my extract brews, using a 20 quart pot I can bring 3.5 gallons to a boil in about 20 minutes (from the 150F degree range from steeping) with one burner. I am going to get a new aluminum pot and am debating between 40 and 60 quarts for use on the stove top. 60 quart would work better for brew in a bag, which is the method I plan to use for a while.

Being that I want to do this on the stove-top, would getting 7-8 gallons of wort to a boil be harder in a 60 quart pot vs a 40 quart pot?

I have a 40 qt I for stove top and it works okay takes a while to get up to boiling with 6 gallons. I think a 60 qt may be a better idea as it should be a wider pot, maybe. This will allow to get it to cover 2 burners, maybe more. Maybe look for a low, squat 60 qt that could cover as many burners as possible.

I've successfully boiled 6 gallons over two burners on my electric stove, but it is an older stove with canning elements, so the original owners clearly intended to boil large amounts of water on the stove. Oh ya, while I could successfully boil that amount, it took like an hour to get to a full boil.

I brewed on an electric stove my 1st year of brewing. I'm glad I don't anymore, so is my wife, I ruined the stove. brewing on a propane burner in my garage has worked great.....do you ever think of moving? :tank:

I brewed on an electric stove my 1st year of brewing. I'm glad I don't anymore, so is my wife, I ruined the stove. brewing on a propane burner in my garage has worked great.....do you ever think of moving? :tank:
Might I ask... How did you ruin the stove? My stove has minimal problem getting 4 gallons to boil. I use 2 5 gallon pots in my all-grain brewing process to better get boil temp and liquid loss.

when I said I ruined the stove, I meant the cosmetics, over a period of time the surface turned a dark brown color that couldn't be scrubbed away. yes, I could achieve a boil, im just glad I can use propane.

I timed how long it took to get to mash in temps and then to boiling in my 60qt pot on my electric stove spanned across two burners. I tested this with about 12 gallons in the pot. I wanted to build up a layer of oxidation, and I figured I might as well time it. Keep in mind that this was on my electric stove top in my apartment, with the pot sitting on two burners at once.

Started at 120F with the hot water from the tap.
28min to 166F
58min to 212F, or boiling

Not bad at all in my opinion.

Back