Craisins as yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
I've heard of mashing up and boiling Raisins as a yeast nutrient.

How about Craisins?

I only ask because I have a bag of Craisins around and don't feel like going to the supermarket.

I'd also be concerned with preservatives on such a mass marketed product. If you find dehydrated cranberries at a store like Whole Foods you might be able to find what you're looking for without all of the sugars and preservatives.

Scott

Craisins are processed a bit more and have a lot of sugar added. I doubt the effect would be the same.

+1, dried fruits usually always have sulfur dioxide added to "preserve freshness" among other things that you may not want in your beer/starters. Also, craisins are cranberries not raisins, so it's kind of like saying will an apple taste like my orange?

To each their own, but to me this sounds a little crazy. A vial of yeast nutrient is $5 and will last for many many batches. Raisins are $3-4 a pound, and you probably need a fair amount to get anything from. Keep them for your oatmeal cookies...:eek:

Back