freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
I have seen post about a freezer set up for kegs. I have a few questions. How do you control the temp to keep the kegs from freezing.
What is the advantage of a freezer over a conventional refrig.?

I have seen post about a freezer set up for kegs. I have a few questions. How do you control the temp to keep the kegs from freezing.
What is the advantage of a freezer over a conventional refrig.?

There are a few different styles of temperature controllers for freezer conversions that basically just turn the freezer on & off to controll the temp
here's an example: http://www.kegworks.com/search/search.php?keywords=temperature+controller&x=0&y=0

As for the advantage, I think it really comes down to preference & space for your set up. Depending on the size of freezer, you may be able to fit more kegs in one than an upright fridge. You can also fully convert a freezer in a number of different ways, where as it seems with a full size or mini-fridge to you're customization is a little more limited by the unit you have. Though whether that is a disadvantage or not comes down, again, to what you prefer. my $0.02

Another advantage to freezers is that you don't lose all the cold air every time you open the door to change a keg or mess with the hoses and stuff, which happens more often than you might think.

Back