All grain and small kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pezmaker

Reaction score
I hope this isn't a repeat thread - there is so much info here, and just being here a day, I have no idea.

Due to space and monetary constraints, I only have an 11 qt stainless clad kettle and an electric stove. Clearly, not ideal. That said, I've brewed many extracts that turned out very good, and I've brewed a couple partial extracts which also turned out very good.

So, now for the question. Other than double the time at stove top, are there any significant problems or "gotchas" to watch out for with doing a double batch boil? If it's not an unreasonable idea, would one want to split the hops evenly between the boil batches, or is all in one ok?

Unfortunately my budget prevents me from upgrading the kettle size, and the fact that I'm in an apartment and there are currently 3 foot snow drifts blowing around outside, a propane burner is out of the question.

Thanks!
Bender

You could certainly double batch. You could also sparge a high gravity concentrated wort and dilute post boil...this will cost you a bit of efficiency and a few pounds of grain as well.

Back