watered down taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboule13

Reaction score
Let me start by saying my first home brew was a success!

My second batch has me a bit worried, as I took a small sip or two yesterday after 12 days. First of all my OG was off the suggested value by .02 (or slightly less) when i took my initial reading. Now that I taste it, the beer tastes slightly watered down.

So here is my question:

Is this normal for a very young beer? Will the flavor continue to develop?

Can I add corn sugar and more yeast to liven it up a bit?

The beer is an IPA.

Thanks

Are you tasting it while still in a fermenter? If so don't worry about it. You beer has a long journey to go before you drink it. It' sgoing to carb and conditon.

One of the biggest things that's going to change that is simply carbonation, when the beer is carbed it's going to have a much fuller taste and mouthfeel.

DOn't do anything to it now, there's really nothing wrong that a little co2 won't fix.

ok, thats kind of what I wanted to hear

I made the mistake of dumping some crap into the fermenter when i did this batch. I'm really not to worried about that. I did decide to transfer it to another carboy just to clean it out a little bit. Ive been told by a few friends that racking is completely unnecessary, and judging from my first beer, it may be. However being new to this I decided to give it a try.

It appears now that there is next to no action in the carboy. (we are at the 12 day mark) It went off for about 2 days and then slowed to a crawl. It may just be a fairly weak beer, and I'm fine with that. Cant have trial and error with out a little error here and then.

I know exactly what youre talking about, I pulled a hydrometer sample the other day from my nut brown and it tasted weak. I agree with Revvy, that once its carbed up it will get that nice carbonic acid "bite" that makes the beer taste full and crisp.

From my experiance watered down tasting beer is a product of being 'green' or young. By 6 weeks from pitch it should be great.

Don't make any judgments about your beer until it's carbonated and cold... I like to taste my beer in the fermentor or bottling bucket, but they always taste 10x better when its actually done. Wait until its done, and then think about improvements to the recipe.

Latest posts

Back