Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gaming consoles are necessary because americans are retarded. (Yes I own a game system ;)) It is an easy to start, readilly connected to the TV, game only, simplified computer.

The wii and kinect move a little beyond what a PC could do with the motion sensetivity.

Gaming consoles are necessary because americans are retarded. (Yes I own a game system ;)) It is an easy to start, readilly connected to the TV, game only, simplified computer.

The wii and kinect move a little beyond what a PC could do with the motion sensetivity.

Whats kinect?:D

Actually you can hook the wii controllers up to a PC pretty easily. They are bluetooth devices and there are APIs for making them do stuff on your computer. Here's a guy playing Half-Life 2 on his PC with a WiiMote:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asY_I8y6C0M]WiiMote controlling PC Game[/ame]

...and they cost less than buying a PC that can play the same games, assuming the games are available for PC at all

...and they are much easier to install games on -- even compared to Steam which is about as easy as it gets on PC

I can't fit a computer next to my TV and I don't want to play games sitting in a chair looking at my computer screen, too many computer wires, etc. I'm sure there are solutions that address those issues but I don't have time these days to get it all together and build it.

I'm not sitting there playing the PS3 and saying, damn, I wish the graphics were better. I don't really care. I just want the thing to work and have good games to play. I can't tell the difference between 60fps and whatever the normal standard is, why is that such a big deal?

I can't fit a computer next to my TV and I don't want to play games sitting in a chair looking at my computer screen, too many computer wires, etc. I'm sure there are solutions that address those issues but I don't have time these days to get it all together and build it.

I'm not sitting there playing the PS3 and saying, damn, I wish the graphics were better. I don't really care. I just want the thing to work and have good games to play. I can't tell the difference between 60fps and whatever the normal standard is, why is that such a big deal?

That is just it. If GAMING were done on PC's only, they would have evolved and TVs would have evolved faster.

You would more readilly be able to start your computer and control it from the living room and play on your tv.

No shame. I am looking for my next game system. I just acknowledge that those in the know build their own or play on PC's, the unwashed masses get Xboxes and playstations.

Not at all. The Kinect is a standalone device and does not utilize the consoles CPU. Loads of folks connected their Kinect devices to PC for Skyrim and, IIRC, Mass Effect 3.

And even the XBox 360 is blurring the lines between PC and Console based on applications. XBox controller (wired of course) can plug directly into a PC USB port and a PC usb keyboard can plug directly into a XBox console.

Only thing that really defines either system is the applications.

And with the MS "all-in" One, I expect MS will further blurr those lines.

That is just it. If GAMING were done on PC's only, they would have evolved and TVs would have evolved faster.

You would more readilly be able to start your computer and control it from the living room and play on your tv.

Not sure I follow this. Loads of people already do this from a remote PC. Others just don't want to deal with custom length HDMI cables, and/or device configuration.

I get it now! Consoles are like Apple crap. They're for individuals who need their hand held when they use a computer. But I've had a PS since 1998? OMG am I "that" pretentious jack a$s in the Apple store with a Macbook? :(

Im not saying I can't do it, but it just doesn't fit. The tech is there, I just don't want to run cables all over my house to get my PC up on my TV. I have built every computer I've ever owned, but never desired to make a gaming computer. I just am in the mind that certain games are meant to be played on a PC, and others on a big screen TV with a console. I have steam and play stuff like Simcity and Civ on my PC, but for actual video games, I must do it on the console.

Im not saying I can't do it, but it just doesn't fit. The tech is there, I just don't want to run cables all over my house to get my PC up on my TV. I have built every computer I've ever owned, but never desired to make a gaming computer. I just am in the mind that certain games are meant to be played on a PC, and others on a big screen TV with a console. I have steam and play stuff like Simcity and Civ on my PC, but for actual video games, I must do it on the console.

That is what I am saying. All of that would be easier if "everybody" did it that way.

Even the most savvy tech gurus are tempted to slum on an x0box, cause how many people will be playing multiplayer that you can access, when 90% of the world uses the prepackaged and you have the best, but unique system?

there is nothing wrong! If I thought it was honestly better, I would be researching making my own WAY over the top system........not happening!

I LOVE COD reflexive on the wii. Who the eff would I decimate if I didn't have the wildly popular game system?;)

No shame. I am looking for my next game system. I just acknowledge that those in the know build their own or play on PC's, the unwashed masses get Xboxes and playstations.

Good luck playing some of the best games of the generation on a computer...

I had a gaming PC for a while, but 98% of the time bought games for my PS3 becaue when I put the disc in, it worked. No drivers to update, software to install, settings to tweak.... Just game time.

I buy Xbox games for the dumb games (like FPS) that I want to play online. The xbox live community is better, the servers are more stable, and everyone is on the same playing field. No worries about that one guy that has a $3K gaming rig running over 120fps; that is a huge advantage against you. Also, my TV is freaking huge.

But for games that are single player, deep, or complex I much prefer the PC experience. I often play with a wireless Xbox remote on the ports so there really isn't any difference on the control side; purest PC gamers will only play with mouse and keyboard but I just don't get that. For example, the world of Skyrim is larger and more beautiful than the developers have ever imaged it after loading up a few user created mods. There are mods that are more complex and add more debt to the game than the official DLC. This allows you to change your play style up whenever you like. It is like you actually own the game and can play it however you like, how about that.

I had a gaming PC for a while, but 98% of the time bought games for my PS3 becaue when I put the disc in, it worked. No drivers to update, software to install, settings to tweak.... Just game time.

I don't own a PS3 so I cannot comment on it.

But my Xbox has to download drivers and updates every time I turn it on.

I'm sorry are you sure you had a Play Station Gen 3 right? Think real hard I'm pretty sure every single time I turned on Black Ops 2 I had to wait 5 to 30 min for it to update, and once a month cause online programs got changed constantly! Not to mention it was down for 21 days AND our crap got stolen. But IT works? yea it works.;)

yep, can play without an internet connection and now no policies regarding used games....now my only issue is the fuking government eye staring in constantly..

Wow, just saw the news.
They caved in to the pressure.

Still don't think I will be pre-ordering just yet...

I'm sorry are you sure you had a Play Station Gen 3 right? Think real hard I'm pretty sure every single time I turned on Black Ops 2 I had to wait 5 to 30 min for it to update, and once a month cause online programs got changed constantly! Not to mention it was down for 21 days AND our crap got stolen. But IT works? yea it works.;)

Ah, I got Playstation+ forever ago and it auto installs updates. Totally forgot about the software updates and yes, they were a giant pain.

Still, those installed much faster than all the stuff I'd have to do on the computer.

Ps4 is still more powerful, cheaper, and ps+ IMO is a better value. Also a pay multiplayer system almost guarantees a , at the least, just as good online experience...as that was one thing Xbox definitely had in its pocket.

I'm a half PC/half console guy.

I think all the DRM rumors were just that. Even if they were true, it sure isn't now. I don't know who's running Xbox Live but they've changed for the better.
Or will be, there letting your Gold account be shared by a household, no "Family Plan bs, and there getting rid of Micro Soft Points, and using strait currency. No more feeling ripped off, cause of those 35 pts you can never use. Plus for 360 if you have gold or get it, there giving 2 free game downloads a month, starting in July and going through the end of the year. There choosing the titles, but still.
As much as I like my xbox, i have felt nickel and dimed.

Ps4 is still more powerful, cheaper, and ps+ IMO is a better value. Also a pay multiplayer system almost guarantees a , at the least, just as good online experience...as that was one thing Xbox definitely had in its pocket.

PSN won't have the servers the XBL will.

Are you saying PS4 is more powerful than? Xbox one.

Are you saying PS4 is more powerful than? Xbox one.

AMD will be manufacturing the APU for both devices using the same architecture.
This is a single chip solution where the CPU, GPU, and Northbridge is on the same die.
They will not differ much from each other or from the PC equivalent chip.
The PS4 does have a slight edge, they are using a speedier RAM. So the PS4 load screens may be a little shorter if the APU can take advantage of it.

Microsoft is charging $100 more because they are bundling the Kinect in the package.
I will bet that this will change in the near future and they will offer a package without the Kinect that will be priced the same as the PS4.

Just checking cause they are identical on spec's that "speeder" ram is still DDR3 they just changed the name. to GDDR5 Graphics Double Data Rate, version 5

This is an interesting side by side.

It gives the Wii U top marks for performance. I can't tell if this is subjective or objective.

http://video-game-consoles-review.toptenreviews.com/

With these numbers, the wii u looks more powerful except for the storage capacity. Is that correct?

GPU (megahertz) 3,000
Processor (megahertz) 3,000
RAM (megabytes) 2,000
Standard Storage Capacity 32GB

The current gen AMD APU can only run DDR3; so I was assuming the "semi-custom" verbage that Sony is using is to modify the APU to run with DDR5.
So looks like Sony will not have a memory speed advantage; this puts them back on level ground.

Anyway, had 5 minutes to burn:
Here is a PC version of the new console for $500 (no OS or Controllers).
I did this in 5 minutes picking highly rated components, I could probably shave $100->$200 off the price if I shopped a little harder.
APU is at least 30% faster than the consoles will sport, but it does have fewer cores. But with gaming, speed is more important than the number of cores on the die.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113331
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131972
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231468
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144231
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136252

This is an interesting side by side.

It gives the Wii U top marks for performance. I can't tell if this is subjective or objective.

http://video-game-consoles-review.toptenreviews.com/

With these numbers, the wii u looks more powerful except for the storage capacity. Is that correct?

GPU (megahertz) 3,000
Processor (megahertz) 3,000
RAM (megabytes) 2,000
Standard Storage Capacity 32GB

Cheezy, you should look at the consoles they're comparing.

Hint, ther'es no PS4 or XB1 on there

LINK

Or a much more indepth

http://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-vs-wii-u-how-microsoft-sony-nintendo-consoles-stack-specs-price-what-they-look

The issue with the Wii U is that you have to convince people that the Wii U Gamepad is worth the cost. Cause the system would probably be 250 or less without it. I don't think Nintendo has proven that yet.

LINK

Or a much more indepth

http://www.ibtimes.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-vs-wii-u-how-microsoft-sony-nintendo-consoles-stack-specs-price-what-they-look

The issue with the Wii U is that you have to convince people that the Wii U Gamepad is worth the cost. Cause the system would probably be 250 or less without it. I don't think Nintendo has proven that yet.

Well looks like I was wrong about PS4 memory mredge73 was correct about it being faster, 8 gigs is still massive for a console. That will do nicely for the next Elder Scrolls Game. developers got to step it up to match the hardware.
The wii may be puny but it still fun as he!l. Its just not a direct competitor" my friends son didn't break his arm playing COD but wii tennis did":D

Well looks like I was wrong about PS4 memory mredge73 was correct about it being faster, 8 gigs is still massive for a console. That will do nicely for the next Elder Scrolls Game. developers got to step it up to match the hardware.
The wii may be puny but it still fun as he!l. Its just not a direct competitor" my friends son didn't break his arm playing COD but wii tennis did":D

I have been wii only for a while now. I LOVE the wiimote.

I played COD on my buddy's Xbox and although I got used to it, the old style controller BLOWS!! I don't think I can go back, especially for a first person shooter.

LINK

Or a much more indepth

Thanks Hoppy! It had the wiiu, so I figured it had all of the latest.

Cant wait for the elderscrolls online..PS4 should play it nicely...i hope :)

Got Last of Us on Monday and am loving it. It's got less cut scenes than Uncharted and is engrossing as anything I've ever played. Great characters and relationships. Shooting is frustrating because there is really only one accurate weapon so far, the hunting rifle, but I like hand-to-hand combat.

Got Last of Us on Monday and am loving it. It's got less cut scenes than Uncharted and is engrossing as anything I've ever played. Great characters and relationships. Shooting is frustrating because there is really only one accurate weapon so far, the hunting rifle, but I like hand-to-hand combat.

Fantastic game...finished it a few days ago..best survival horror action game of this gen.

Yeah, TLOU is a major surprise to me..

I was expecting a darker version of Uncharted, but its really blown me away so far.. not very far into it I suppose, just left the school trying to get the battery..

The trophy list for it sucks...

Brutal, going to take me a little while to run out the platinum, but I'll get to it eventually.. will be #23 or #24.. can't remember..

Anyone on PS3, feel free to add me.. just throw HBT in the message or something..

Psn: DrNecropolis

Back