Great Success with HBT, Practice, and Patience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikfxsts

Reaction score
Last night I cracked open my third homebrew, since finding this site. My first post on HBT was about an Oatmeal Stout. I did everything wrong! Pulled out of the primary too soon, pitched the yeast too hot, etc. I found HBT a day after pitching the yeast. To be honest, this beer still sucks, 2 months after bottling. As stated on HBT, I will put it to the side, and check it now and again. If it still sucks in 6 months, I willd dump it!

I learned a lot about the process from this first batch. Several items don't come with brewing kits. I built a wort chliller out of copper refrigerator tubing ($30), I got a long thermometer, I started using paint filters to get the hops/trub out of my boiling bucket, etc.

Second beer was a Kolsch. I left it in the primary for 3 weeks, and a secondary for 2 weeks (cold floor in garage). 3 weeks in a bottle.

This beer is awsome! It was even better at 4 weeks in the bottle. I compared it to a Kolsch on Tap at a Tavern, and mine was as good or better (Thanks for the tips YooperBrew).

Third beer was a English Brown Ale. Again...I took my time. This one was in the Primary for 27 days - no secondary.

This beer, after 3 weeks in the bottle, is a beauty. Taste, color, carbonation.....I am a happy beer drinker.

Moral of the story is, if you first batch sucks, ask questions, and try again. I have learned a ton of ways to make my beer better, make the process easier (Revvy's bottling tips), and got a lot of laughs along the way.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but try the SEARCH first! People here are quick to respond to questions.

Thanks HBT! You guys ROCK!

:rockin:

It's great to hear that your beer is turning out so well. That's awesome.

Well, maybe not- because making wonderful beer only feeds the brewing addiction! It makes you want to brew more, buy more refrigerators (yes, I have 5- but I did give one away and now I wish I had it back), buy more gear, start kegging, and next thing you know you'll be moderating a homebrew forum on the internet!

And it all starts with that first good batch out of extract. :rockin:

Back