Similar yeast to that of Brewery Ommegang's house yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuarez

Reaction score
I really enjoy the flavor of all ommegang's offerings, and want to experiment at home with a similar strain to that of their house strain. Which commercially available yeast is comparable. some kind of abbey ale yeast?

White Labs 500 and 550 are both really good Belgian style yeasts - I;m not sure if the exact Ommegang strain is available commercially. You can always find one of their bottle conditioned brews (I think they all are) and harvest.

I just opened a keg of a Hefe that I made with a yeast harvested from a Rare Vos bottle - and boy is it tasty.

Why not give it a try? It was really easy - I'd actually left the bottle sitting on the table for several days prior to noticing that there was some yeast on the bottom and giving it a try. Did a lot of things wrong - built it up with dextrose rather than malt, probably built it up too quickly, etc - and it still attenuates like crazy and tastes really good. And all you need to do is be in the same room as it to realize that it's a Belgian.

Wyeast Canadian/Belgian is Unibroue's yeast. It's seasonal and we're at the end of the season right now.

Back