Orange Juice in wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I wondered if somebody has experience using orange juice in beer? And in wheat beer?

Marius

I have never heard of anyone having a good experience fermenting orange juice. The first thing that always pops into my mind is pruno.

Berries are a more popular choice when flavoring wheats.

Do you mean pre- or post fermentation?

It is actually an intriguing idea as a weird take on a shandy or radler.... I will experiment.

EDIT: I meant after fermentation. You do not want to combine yeast and OG...

I flavored a cider with orange extract with good results. I've heard fermented orange juice smells and tastes like barf.

I am interested in both before and after fermation.

I like the taste of orange, and wanted my wheat beer to have some orange flavour...

Strangely enough I have added orange juice in the secondary; a 1/2 gallon to be precise. Did this in a "Beer Captured" recipe for Fantom. Do a search on HBT for a Fantom thread where I posted the recipe. The base was a beer containing some small % of wheat malt, 1 lb or so.

It worked out quite well a good beer, but without ever having Fantom I have no idea how close it came to the original. Remember to add pectic enzyme so that the beer will clear.

Back