Definitive CIP pump thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
Been reading a lot about CIP balls and pumps and there doesn't seem to be any consensus around a pump that will do the job for a reasonable price. So...post which pump you are using, where you got it, and what you paid for it. Let's find the best value pump for the job.

Hmm, I've been looking at all those eBay sump pumps. The max pressure on them is really low though. Do you get a high pressure jet out of it?

I've been taking a look at this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578545_200578545

It's not submersible unfortunately, but it is self priming with 12 ft. of suction. Other downside is 12V at 10A, which is not a cheap power supply.

Has anyone had problems with the grease coming out of the bearings of sump pumps. They have dynamic seals which can leak grease, I just don't know if its common or a problem.

Hmm, I've been looking at all those eBay sump pumps. The max pressure on them is really low though. Do you get a high pressure jet out of it?

I've been taking a look at this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578545_200578545

It's not submersible unfortunately, but it is self priming with 12 ft. of suction. Other downside is 12V at 10A, which is not a cheap power supply.

This pump is only 3 home, which is not enough to operate the spay balls.

Has anyone had problems with the grease coming out of the bearings of sump pumps. They have dynamic seals which can leak grease, I just don't know if its common or a problem.

I have not had an issue and have used mine a lot for about two years. Some are advertised as oil free.

cfrazier77 said:
I have not had an issue and have used mine a lot for about two years. Some are advertised as oil free.

Does a CIP ball need more pressure than a March pump can provide?

Then how does a person know what to use for a pump to shoot cleaner thru the CIP?

Flow rate vs. pressure drop is a curve that is unique for every pump. However, output pressure, and pressure drop are two different things. This image is a decent illustration:

DDC32PressureVsFlow.png

Damn didnt know that this was going to involve math and charts and what have you, I'm out.

Damn didnt know that this was going to involve math and charts and what have you, I'm out.

Haha. It doesn't have to, I was just trying to give a little background on how pumps work. Really, you just need to check the specs of a pump and match them up with the specs of your spray ball. Most other spray balls besides BH list a flow rate AND a pressure. Higher the pressure you give it, the less flow is needed and vice versa.

No, there has to be enough volume to make it spin and clean properly. On the Brewhemoth CIP thread this type of pump has been discussed and someone tried it. It did not produce enough volume to work.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/br...ce-cip-systems-299346/index2.html#post4941698

Interesting. Just took a look at that pump and it is much lower volume than the one I linked. 0.67gpm at 40psi. The one I linked is 3gpm at 60psi.

Regardless, I'd rather use a submersible 110V pump than that one anyway, I'm just wary because none of them are rated up to the high pressure required by the spray balls. Pretty much why I started this thread.

I have a Chinese pump in use for more than ten years, purchased on line.
My setup uses non rotating spray balls.
Not a good pump if used with cheep low pressure hoses in case of a blockage.
The pressure I tested got close to 65 psi.

The only non stainless part inside the pump housing was a brass screw I replaced with stain less.

Old post #11
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cip-pump-worthy-235847/

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Back