Beers to learn with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoCrew

Reaction score
I've tried searching, but I think I am using the wrong search terms. Can anyone tell me, or point me to a thread that guides a bud light/coors light/miller lite kind of person into the wide world of styles of beer?

I get as fancy as New Glarus Spotted Cow which they bill as a farmhouse ale (I think it is closer to a Saison if my limited beer style knowledge can be trusted). I've tried a few build your own six packs, but I think they try and move lesser selling beers that way. I know it is often hard to find concensus, but some beers are must try for the style, what are those?

Thanks!

Search starter craft beer. I would recommend a craft lager, a Belgian Blonde, or a Hefeweizen. If you drink those regularly and enjoy them, then go a little happier with a Helles, Bock, etc.

Shiner, Real Ale and Saint Arnold's would be good brands. They all offer beers that kind of person would recognize as beer. An American lager drinker could move around in their offerings quite a bit to broaden their beer experience.

I've tried searching, but I think I am using the wrong search terms. Can anyone tell me, or point me to a thread that guides a bud light/coors light/miller lite kind of person into the wide world of styles of beer?

I get as fancy as New Glarus Spotted Cow which they bill as a farmhouse ale (I think it is closer to a Saison if my limited beer style knowledge can be trusted). I've tried a few build your own six packs, but I think they try and move lesser selling beers that way. I know it is often hard to find concensus, but some beers are must try for the style, what are those?

Thanks!

Well to address your point, Saison's are unfiltered farmhouse ales. Actually BeerAdvocate has them under the same style as you often don't see them separate anymore. So you're basically right that it is a Saison even if it's filtered the taste will be similar.

As far as beers to get them interested, Sam Adams is never a bad start. But I would recommend finding a good beer bar, tell the bartend they like Bud/Miller/whatever and have them do a flight of beers the bartender thinks they'll like. You never know what they may enjoy.

I never considered Spotted Cow a farmhouse ale - always had it pegged as a Cream Ale. Never tasted the same as any of the Saisons I've had tho it's been about 3 years since I had a SP and the last 2 I had tasted like pints of butter.

Beeradvocate has it as a Cream Ale and Northern Brewer lists their clone as a cream ale as well.

There will be other suggestions, but I would personally suggest Bell's Two Hearted Ale for an American IPA. Actually their porter, Kalamazoo stout, and Best Brown are very good too in my opinion. And no, I'm not from Michigan :)

The BJCP lists for representative styles is usually good too.

Back