"Beer" Magazine rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw "Beer" at the store and bought a copy yesterday, man does this magazine suck!

Almost NOTHING on brewing and very little on beer.
Difference between porter and stout
Mead is a sweet drink?!
Lots of drinking games
Some cheesecake photos (OK)

Don't waste your $$, buy some hops instead.

JMA99

Thanks for picking up the magazine and checking it out. Like most things our magazine isn't for everybody and if that's you great. Our magazine has a demographic and a style that isn't what is normal for magazine's about beer. Our goal was simple. Create a fun, entertaining magazine about something I love...beer and get it out to as many new people as possible. To do that we go for more general interest magazines and don't stick to one small segment of the industry.

Obviously people here love home brewing and I enjoy drinking it. Our home brew editor is crazy about it. But we are not a home brewing magazine so those who are at the high end of the HB segment might not look to our magazine for that. Our goal with our HB column is to allow the new readers we get to see that side of beer and offer them a snap shot of it. If they really get in deep they will find alternate ways of getting the information they need, like this website or another magazine, but hopefully retain ours for other purposes.

Our magazine is designed to be a gate way beer. Much like the one beer we all had that made us go craft crazy our magazine is doing that for people that might never have thought about beer other than when ordering and deciding if they want light or regular beer.

I do appreciate you posting here and letting those know about the magazine, even if you say it sucks it lets people think about it and maybe decide for themselves if they want to have an entertaining magazine for the bathroom or coffee table about something they like. And I'll say it again, not everybody will find what we do entertaining or funny, but that's what makes the world so interesting right?

Also we cater to our readers so if one day all our readers said "I want more home brewing articles" we'd make that happen. Until then our formula is one that seems to be working and I'll be a proud daddy by saying our first issue outsold every beer magazine on the newsstand by 2-3 times combined :) Not bad :)

Thanks for the post and if anybody wants to see some of the articles our website does have articles information and a forum to check out and that is Beer Magazine - Everything you need for all things beer.

You can also subscribe if you like to read suck. :)

I've bought several issues of Beer magazine and it's okay if you take it for what it is. As BeerMagazine said, it's not a homebrew magazine. There are extensive reviews and interesting articles related to beer. I keep a copy in my work vehicle for light reading when I have a bit of down time.

I've bought several issues of Beer magazine and it's okay if you take it for what it is. As BeerMagazine said, it's not a homebrew magazine. There are extensive reviews and interesting articles related to beer. I keep a copy in my work vehicle for light reading when I have a bit of down time.

+1 SWMBO bought me a subscription and it is not bad for reading in the "library" ;)

SD

You should probably offer up some free subscriptions, it is Christmas after all, so we can decide if it sucks on our own! :)

We've had lot of Beer of the month with a babe theme, I'll have to see if that is something we can do. Glad to see we have some readers here, BTW I can be referred to as Derek and not BeerMagazine :)

Right now we are giving shirts away for free, winner each week, for becoming a forum member. That may include a free subscription soon.

Merry XMAS.

I think the mag is pretty good. I tell anyone who hasn't seen it, it is like Maxim but all about beer, and still has the hot chicks! I love the content in it, actually. I'm a subscriber.

I totally understand that it can't be a beer snob mag (Beer Advocate, All About Beer), nor a homebrew mag (Zymurgy, BYO). That has been done already.

Don't change what you do guys.

Derek anyone can connect a beer of the month to hot chick photos. Check this out you or one of your writers go into the local watering hole find a hottie or six who appear to be beer snobs. An interview, a few photos and bam you have a monthly column with hot chicks! I'm assuming you have writers that contribute from around the country that could keep the content going for at least a year or so. Of course you would have to get all the questions guys really want to know about answered. Oh and let me know when you need my address for the subscription.

I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day for a gift. Beer was the only beer magazine on the shelf, and I live in boulder! So props to them for getting the word out to non-homebrewers about the beer revolution. I obviously loved beer before I started brewing, but I couldn't give a flip less about how to build a continuous hopper. As a chef, I think it's important to market beer in as many ways as possible. How many friggin' wine magazine are there out there?...Fill'en the niche.

I was in Barnes and Nobles the other day for a gift. Beer was the only beer magazine on the shelf, and I live in boulder! So props to them for getting the word out to non-homebrewers about the beer revolution. I obviously loved beer before I started brewing, but I couldn't give a flip less about how to build a continuous hopper. As a chef, I think it's important to market beer in as many ways as possible. How many friggin' wine magazine are there out there?...Fill'en the niche.

Thanks!

We're also the only beer magazine in Target :)

Back