Cleaning Cobra Taps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy White

Reaction score
Finally got my first keg carbed...tastes great and is properly carbed. After I finish off the keg how do I clean the outlet hose and the cobra tap? or do I just switch it to a different keg that I have ready?

Finally got my first keg carbed...tastes great and is properly carbed. After I finish off the keg how do I clean the outlet hose and the cobra tap? or do I just switch it to a different keg that I have ready?

There are a couple of ways to do it. I usually stick it on the keg after I clean it, and squirt the cleaner, then the fresh water, and then the sanitizer through it. Every couple of kegs, though, I take it apart. The cobra tap top part unscrews, and then the black QD comes apart, too. You use a flat head screwdriver to remove the cover of the QD, and then make sure you have all four little parts- the little o-ring, the spring, the white plastic piece and the top. Wash them and let them soak in sanitizer, while you run hot water and oxiclean through it. Then rinse and put it back together. (For the longest time, I didn't know how easy they came apart, so I struggled with it. Now I clean them thoroughly and have no problems!)

I just picked up a carbonator cap for cleaning / sanatizing lines. Just fill a 2l soda bottle with your favorite cleaner and invert the bottle, open the tap. Do the same for sanitizer.

Plus then youll have a good way to transport brews to partys ect.

carbfil2.jpg

They cost about $2.

If they get really nasty, why not just pitch and replace them?

Though, I'm pretty cheap, so will probably clean them at least a few times.

I was just wondering if it would lose its carbonation after time in the plastic bottles.

Nope, it shouldn't Think of how long those bottles of soda sit in a werhouse / supermarket shelves, besides you can go back and hit them with gas to add some bubbles!

Im actually goung to use the bottles for small batches of beer / soda That way Im not wasting a 5gal keg for only 1gal :mug:

Thanks timekiller...i'm going to pick one up at the LHBS soon and try it out.

I like mine. The main thing I use it for, though, is making soda. I like doing it in a 2L size, and you can quick carb the soda with that carbonator. Then you're not stuck with soda with sediment in it, or with 5 gallons of rootbeer. I can do 2 L of ginger ale at a time, which is about right.

They are good for experimental batches of beer also...

Make a 5 gal batch, divide between 10 bottles and add different things (dry-hops, oak, whiskey, vegetables, fruit, small children) just go crazy!

They are good for experimental batches of beer also...

Make a 5 gal batch, divide between 10 bottles and add different things (dry-hops, oak, whiskey, vegetables, fruit, small children) just go crazy!

Wow...I think you just opened up a whole new world of brewing for me....it might get a little dangerous. The best part of brewing IMO is the experimentation, but it sucks if you ruin a whole 5g batch. THANKS:mug:

My problem is duplication. I make something I like but then when I do a larger batch its never as good.

Back