New 2.5 Gallong Corny - wierd smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I have let it sit for about 24 hours with oxyclean free in the tub and last night I let it sit with starsan.. and it still has a slight hint of "newness" smell. (only way i can describe it)

I'm going out today to get the regulator and CO2 bottle so i can pressurize the keg as I dont have the rest of the parts for the kegerator.

Is this going to affect my beer I'm about to drop in it?

You could always put a bleach solution in it and leave it overnight. Then rinse the hell out of it. I doubt that the beer will pick up the smell, though.

:tank:

thanks.

I'm off to the local homebrew store to shop for parts and other things..

:)

cleaned with oxyclean free
sanitized with starsan
rinsed one final time just before kegging

hopefully it will not absorb the faint trace of odor.

I hope you're aware that rinsing after starsan could defeat the purpose of the starsan. It is a no rinse sanitizer. no risk introducing an infection with non-sterilized water after you sanitize

do not use bleach with that new corny. You can soak it with HOT PBW for a day or so, then rinse with hot water, or just get some cheap beer and "pickle" the new stainless. Sounds like good use for Keystone Light.

Back