Big hop screw up, HELP!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
Hi all, Monday I brewed my first lager an Oktoberfest, and for some reason today I was playing around in beersmith and looked at the recipe and realized I screwed up on the hops, the bittering hops were supposed to be 1.5 oz Hallertau and I only put 1/2 an ounce in, bringing the IBU's from 22 to a whopping 9 IBU. I know because I weighed my pack of hallertau which was a 6 oz unopened and it was 5 oz, un freakin believable. What should I do????? I do have some magnum hops I could make maybe a 1/3 gallon batch and add it to the already fermenting Oktoberfest to add bitterness, what do you think?

I could try this too http://www.hoptech.com/cart/cart.php?target=category&category_id=302

bandt9299 said:
Hi all, Monday I brewed my first lager an Oktoberfest, and for some reason today I was playing around in beersmith and looked at the recipe and realized I screwed up on the hops, the bittering hops were supposed to be 1.5 oz Hallertau and I only put 1/2 an ounce in, bringing the IBU's from 22 to a whopping 9 IBU. I know because I weighed my pack of hallertau which was a 6 oz unopened and it was 5 oz, un freakin believable. What should I do????? I do have some magnum hops I could make maybe a 1/3 gallon batch and add it to the already fermenting Oktoberfest to add bitterness, what do you think?

I could try this too http://www.hoptech.com/cart/cart.php?target=category&category_id=302

You could either add hop extract or boil some hops in water to make a 'hop tea' and add that.

I've never used a hop extract though, so I can't speak intelligently on what your results might be.

I'd pull a gallon of your fermenting wort out of primary and boil it for an hour with the ounce of Hallertauer you left out, cool, and pitch back into your primary.

Don't know your AA or your OG, so it's hard to nail the exact numbers, but if you fool around with it in Beersmith you should be able to figure out the right volume/boil time/hop oz to get the missing IBUs back.

This subject just came up very recently but no real mention of the hop extract, if anyone has experience with it that would be great, The hop tea sounds good too, I would probably make a starter sans the yeast and add it to the primary, If I went this route. Playing around with beersmith a 1 gallon boil for 60 minutes of 1 oz magnum and 1 oz hallertauer would give me about 12 IBU's, big waste of hops.

Back