need help with a strong brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mw20

Reaction score
A good friend of mine requested a high alcohol batch as a Christmas gift. He usually doesn't drink the most flavorful beers, in fact the most he's strayed from Bud is Yuengling. Any ideas on something with some kick that he'll still enjoy the taste of? I need an extract recipe . Thanks

You gotta remember, as you increase alcohol, you change the flavor, since alcohol is a noticable flavor.

big beers usually have plenty of residual malt flavor, and/or hoppiness.

Can you make sometime strong and drinkable without much taste? sure....but its not gonna adhere to a known style.
someone just asked the same question yesterday, can't remember which sub-forum though.

Yer buddy really doesn't know what he's asking for, and being a Bud drinker doesn't help him much.

Look up some IPA recipes or perhaps if you're feeling sassy an Imperial Stout--which would be better for the winter anyhow.

mw20 said:
A good friend of mine requested a high alcohol batch as a Christmas gift. He usually doesn't drink the most flavorful beers, in fact the most he's strayed from Bud is Yuengling. Any ideas on something with some kick that he'll still enjoy the taste of? I need an extract recipe . Thanks

That really is a shame. I don't know how you can't like Barleywine?

After the first couple doesn't matter anymore anyway :)

:drunk: :D

I can appreciate a barleywine but I wouldn't say I ever crave it. One of the highest alcohol brews I've ever made was an American wheat that I added a ton of honey to but it is true, hot alcohol flavors shine through without the malty background. Tell him to add a shot of everclear to his bud.

It's a long time since I've brewed a strong Christmas ale. When I did, it took well over a year to be ready for drinking. I used to brew it 20 - 21 months before Christmas, and it was still good for the next Christmas.

-a.

I've got a Belgian style golden I'll try to dig up.

It has Honey, coriander, and orange peel.
I've got 7 lbs of honey to a 10 gallon batch.

It's slightly sweet, not too malty, but a hell of a kick. The honey completly hides the alcohol, only problem is it won't truly be ready for Christmas. Honey takes a long time to ferment, it really benifits from extended aging.

Back