Beginner recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niraj83

Reaction score
Hello,

I received a book titled "brooklyn Brewshop's Ber making book." it's made for beginners. I tried a recipe from the book, but it really didn't come out that good. It seems like the recipes are all all-grains. My brother has also brewed a few batches (1 with syrup, other partial grain). He'll be helping me.

I really like heavily seasoned beers (Harpoon's winter warmer is one of my favorites). I should probably go with something simple, but also want to make something I enjoy. The recipe I'm considering is a gingerbread ale: lots of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc.

Any recipes or tips? Also, the book is made for small batches (1 gallon). The time I tried making beer last I made 5 so I didn't feel like i was wasting my time. Is that ok?

Thanks for your help!!!!

If you have an LHBS (Local Homebrew Shop) go in and ask if they have any extract recipes to recommend. They usually have some there to print off. You then just buy the ingredients from them and follow the directions. It's a pretty good way to get started. If no shop is availablle look at Northern Brewer's website they will have such kits and quite a variety.

Don't know if you've seen the recipe database on here (tool bar at the top of the page). They are listed by style so you could look in the spiced/vegetable beer section and then sort by extract, partial mash, etc.

Not to be calling you names, but......KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. What I mean is until you know how to brew stick w/simple proven recipes w/out extra things added. Brew your self an IPA or a Porter. When you have the process down you can begin to experiment.

Not to be calling you names, but......KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. What I mean is until you know how to brew stick w/simple proven recipes w/out extra things added. Brew your self an IPA or a Porter. When you have the process down you can begin to experiment.

Not sure what is different between following a recipe for an IPA or a recipe for a winter warmer with spices. I could understanding not recommending making your own recipe with those additions, but don't see any difficulty of following a proven recipe for something like that, especially if he has an acquired taste for that style. What's the difference between adding an ounce of hops or adding a ounce of cinnamon if they are both listed on the recipe sheet?

You like Harpoon winter warmer I say brew it! Here's a proven recipe for it, extract or all grain on the page. Just follow the directions and do not add extra spices.

http://byo.com/stories/recipeindex/...h-strong-ale/2273-harpoon-winter-warmer-clone

Not sure what is different between following a recipe for an IPA or a recipe for a winter warmer with spices. I could understanding not recommending making your own recipe with those additions, but don't see any difficulty of following a proven recipe for something like that, especially if he has an acquired taste for that style. What's the difference between adding an ounce of hops or adding a ounce of cinnamon if they are both listed on the recipe sheet?

You like Harpoon winter warmer I say brew it! Here's a proven recipe for it, extract or all grain on the page. Just follow the directions and do not add extra spices.

I think it depends on the OP's intentions. Some brewers want to make the beer and be able to have a good homebrew around. Others want to come up with their own recipes.

Back