Whats your ethnicity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats your Ethnicity?

• African American

• Asian

• Caucasian

• Hispanic

• Latino

• Middle East

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Airplanedoc

Reaction score
I was out last night at my neighbors, and took a bunch of homebrew so I don't have to drink his skunky Heineken. I got into a long conversation with another friend of his about homebrewing. He happens to be African American, and during the conversation I got thinking I'm not aware of ever seeing anybody other than Caucasians at the homebrew shop. We talked about it and he said he to the best of his knowledge, he didn't know of any either. Anyway he wanted to check it out, but wasn't sure about the equipment etc. So I said come on over next time I brew, you can use my stuff. So we are going shopping for some Wit beer ingredients in a week or so.

I know of one African American who brews. Michael Ferguson (called Mufasa- if anybody knows him, they know why) is the only person of color I know that brews. He's a pro, the head brewer of the BJ's chains. He's a super nice guy.

I assume that there must be people of color who homebrew, but I don't know of anybody. Of course, I live an area that is 99.9% white anyway so it's not like I see people of color in my day-to-day life either.

I've been to a couple NHCs, though, and I don't recall seeing much ethnic diversity at all. I saw mostly chubby white guys, aged 27-55, with a few younger and older sprinkled in and a couple of females.

I am thinking that Mufasa was the only dark-skinned person in the room for some of the events.

The other thing to think about is that while I consider myself "caucausian", I do have a racially ambiguous history. There is definitely some Native American in the back and possibly some African-american. But it's so far in the past, and it was such a hush-hush thing back then that no one talked about it. Now, anybody who would know the truth is long gone. I just know "Aunt Peggy" was very very dark, but she was "French". My southern family used "French" as a euphemism, though, for "colored" because that was taboo.

100% cracker here :D

But you are right, you need sunglasses at our club meetings cuz of the massive whiteness.

Eastern European American here... :drunk:

I don't see this thread as racist at all. The OP is asking about what we are, without making any judgements (or negative remarks) about what's posted.

Interesting. I also just had the same conversation recently. I haven't run into anyone other than white guys, and some gals, in homebrewing. I'd love to see more diversity in any activity I take part in.

For the record, i'm glow in the dark white (with a hottie hispanic wife) :)

Brooklyn Brewery's Brewmaster, Garrett Oliver

Garrett Oliver is the brewmaster of The Brooklyn Brewery, editor-in-chief of The Oxford Companion to Beer, author of The Brewmaster’s Table, and one of the foremost authorities in the world on the subject of beer.

I'd need a DNA sample to be sure, but he looks black. From videos I've seen of him, very cool dude.

102_Stefano%20Giovannini_original.jpg

Yooper said:
Racist? By discussing race, that makes us racist?

I also am a female. I hope that doesn't make me sexist. :D

Not sure if that makes her sexy... But maybe we could tell with a picture.... It definitely makes her much more attractive!

White- German, Irish, Itailian and Native American

mutt. Scottish, Irish, German, Welsh, French, Indian (my granny says just Cherokee, but I think it's Sioux and a lot more than she claims), Polish, Norwegian, and probably more than I can think of. but I'm born & bred American for the last 5-6 generations. my skin color is transparent green.

Is this not a racist thread? And so what if all you see are Caucasians at the LBHS.....

Ha! What a poor attempt at being the PC police...at least wait until something innapropriate is said. I'm a freckled Cracker...there, oh wait, that doesnt count because I'm white huh.

I drink homebrew with a couple black guys from work...but they are not currently interested in brewing. I'm working on them though!

I don't think that this poll, which will undoubtedly be whiter than snow, will prove what you are thinking though. It basically boils down to population statistics. It's not racist to say that blacks make less than hispanics, hispanics make less than whites, and whites make less than asians (median income). Check page 5 here: https://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p60-243.pdf. A higher median income would probably mean more disposable income .. ect. One of the end results published in quite a few places is lower access to the internet amongst poorer populations. So, even if more non white people did brew, there is less of a chance they would be able to come here to tell you about it.

Billy-Klubb said:
mutt. Scottish, Irish, German, Welsh, French, Indian (my granny says just Cherokee, but I think it's Sioux and a lot more than she claims), Polish, Norwegian, and probably more than I can think of. but I'm born & bred American for the last 5-6 generations. my skin color is transparent green.

Cherokee/ Sioux from India... World travelers! Haha jk

Well I don´t know what to put in there... I´m argentinian, my mother is from Spain and my father from Italy, does that make me hispanic or latino?
And I don´t think is racist at all...

Michael Ferguson
he used to be the brewer at Barley's Brew Pub in Henderson in '01. I tried to get a hold of him several times after I moved back to South Dakota for brewing advice, but he already left Barley's. he still rocking the shaved head & goatee?

he used to be the brewer at Barley's Brew Pub in Henderson in '01. I tried to get a hold of him several times after I moved back to South Dakota for brewing advice, but he already left Barley's. he still rocking the shaved head & goatee?

Yeah, last time I saw him. Lots of gray in the goatee though!

Still big booming voice and big belly laugh!

Yeah, last time I saw him. Lots of gray in the goatee though!

Still big booming voice and big belly laugh!
when he was giving SNAFU the tour of the system, it startled me when he first spoke up in the quiet first room. hahaha! but it was easy to follow what he was saying in the louder areas.

Is this not a racist thread? And so what if all you see are Caucasians at the LBHS.....

I didn't think so, nor was it intended to be. If it was, I don't think I would have said in my OP that I invited the guy over to show him how to brew, and let him use my equipment. The guy likes to drink good beer, and was interested in brewing, that is good enough for me.

I kind of suspected our diversity would be about as strong as the male/female ratio.

Besides if it weren't for want of diversity we would all just be drinking BMC.

I'm white mostly, only partly native.
German, irish, and native american..

Would it be racist if I named my brewery Sausage Mcfirewater's? ???

My dads side of the family is Scotch-Irish, Part of my Mom's side came on the Mayflower (so they were run out of England and Netherlands)

Irish,Scottish,Native American.....I do make a brew called Indian Paleface Scalper, but I'm part Indian so it's ok:D

I'm just sitting here wondering how many mods are watching this thread;)

Irish,Scottish,Native American.....I do make a brew called Indian Paleface Scalper, but I'm part Indian so it's ok:D

I'm just sitting here wondering how many mods are watching this thread;)

Yooper's been fingering a hair trigger on the ban hammer since this thread was conceived.

BTW, I'm 100% American to the core. I'll be buried here, with my wife and kids. I wouldn't claim any other ethnicity.

Hispanic dude here, been into home brewing about a year or so, moved to Michigan and met a friend that was into it and I was hooked.

Back