Exceptionally clear liquor into FV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I brewed 11 gallons of dark bitter today using the same techniques as usual but with more crystal and some chocolate malt. At the end of the boil I removed the hops, cooled to 20 deg C and transferred to carboy. I have never seen such clear bright liquor at this stage. Any ideas?

Do you normally brew dark beers? Dark beers can hide haze. Are you sure it's definitely clearer?

Assuming its a real thing, dark beers also result in a lower pH of the wort. I think I recall that lower pH results in better hot break. But I'm a little unsure if I'm remembering that correctly. Maybe someone else can confirm that?

I am certain it is much clearer. I view the liquor in the syphon tube and it is clearer than a typical light bitter. I lower pH by adding CRS (carbonate reducing solution).

ayoungrad said:
Do you normally brew dark beers? Dark beers can hide haze. Are you sure it's definitely clearer?

Assuming its a real thing, dark beers also result in a lower pH of the wort. I think I recall that lower pH results in better hot break. But I'm a little unsure if I'm remembering that correctly. Maybe someone else can confirm that?

+1. A lower pH will also inspire more interaction between proteins and polyphenols, causing both to drop out of solution. You are probably seeing more of that than usual thanks to the darker grains.

Back