When do 2nd year hops start sprouting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricT

Reaction score
I live in San Diego, just curious as to when people have seen their 2nd year hops starting to emerge. I think mine may have died last year.

I was going to tell you that mine sprouted last year as the ground thawed out and before the snow was fully melted but I dont think that really applies to you down in SoCal. :)

I was going to tell you that mine sprouted last year as the ground thawed out and before the snow was fully melted but I dont think that really applies to you down in SoCal. :)

Yah, not so much. But I gather they come up around March/April. Thanks for the reply though :mug:

Looks like they Started. I have Brewers Gold and Cascades so far. The Cascade are the 5 shoots poking out :) :rockin:

DSCN3506.jpg

DSCN3507.jpg

It amazes me that you already have shoots. The snow is going to have to melt here before they sprout. It is usually last March.

Do you plan to thin the shoots now or later? I tend to clip them early and forget to do it again before they take over. I then have too many shoots which is supposed to negatively impact yield. I am going to try to be more on top of them this year.

I plan to cut them back ina few weeks, right now we are getting fairly cold. There was frost on the roof so I dont want to cut them back just yet.

Back