Audible Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles541

Reaction score
Well I started another gallon batch yesterday afternoon, and I went to go check on it and it is bubbling so vigorously that I can hear, and record, it. It is Whole Foods Brand Apple Juice with about a cup or so of Organic Brown Sugar. Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be something bad?

What do you hear bubbling the airlock or the fermentation itself? I can't say I have ever heard the actual fermentation except with the lid off.

Relax and enjoy it. You need to worry when there are no bubbles! just sounds like a vigorous fermentation. What is the temperature? Did you add yeast nutrient?

Well, I'm old school. I use a balloon with the non stick powder washed out, and a hole poked in the top. Starting to think about it, the sound is probably being amplified by the balloon which is about the size of a grapefruit. It should be about 75ish degrees. It is just sitting in my closet here in Southern California. Also I didin't add any yeast nutrient. It is quite an interesting experience though, like having a pet that lives in a bottle, a delicious, delicious pet...

Back