Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I picked up a six pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo last night. I had never seen it before and have only had their pale ale, Torpedo is a double IPA. It's tasty as hell....creates the palate withering beat-down I like in a good IPA I think it's 7 something ABV. I drank all 6 :tank: Anyone else have an opinion on this beer? Any ideas on the recipe, hops and such? Has a serious thick creamy head that stays around forever.

Yes, it is excellent. I have heard some complain that it character is laid back for an IPA, but I really like the creaminess, I think the hop character is perfect. Brew Your Own has extract and AG recipes for Torpedo.

I think it's a great beer. Just drank some tonight while watching the Penguin game. It definitely has a head that lasts forever. I think the hop character is a little less that what I would expect for an "extra" IPA but I like it the way it is.

It is definitely one of my favorite IPA's though I would say it is rather mellow compared to some. I believe they dry hop with Citra. In fact I'm pretty sure of it. The FG is at 1.016. That is all I can remember about it. I don't think it is a double IPA though, just standard American IPA.

By the way what a hockey game tonight.

I just killed my 1/6 keg of SNPA. :( The good news is that I get to replace it with something else. The local store doesn't have special order keg prices on hand so I will be getting a call with prices on my 'mixed bag' of brew...

SN - Torpedo
SN - Glissade
Stone - Pale Ale
Stone - Arrogant Bastard
Southern Tier - IPA

I'll let the prices I get dictate which keg I get...as I have no idea what to expect. The SNPA was very reasonable. I've really enjoyed Torpedo and will have to pick up a sixxer if I end up with a keg of something else.

EDIT: She just called back with bad news. Glissade is no longer available (expected) and the others do not come in 1/6 kegs. Torpedo only comes in six packs. FWIW, the Summerfest is only $59.99 for a 1/6. It's a good beer and a great price...I just don't know if I want a keg of it or not.

The Sierra Nevada Website gives enough information on the Torpedo that you should be able to come up with a recipe pretty easily.

alcohol content - 7.2% by volume
yeast - Ale Yeast (Probably American Ale Yeast)

beginning gravity 17.3 Plato
ending gravity 4.2 Plato

Hops:
bittering hops - Magnum
Finishing hops - Magnum & Crystal
dry hopping - Magnum, Crystal & Citra
65 IBU

malts - Two-row Pale, & Crystal

Which crystal to use and how much is really the only question. I'd guess Crystal 40, enough to get to the deep color you want, and then top off the recipe up to the desired SG with two row.

But I am only a lowly extract brewer, lol. How do you figure out how to use how much of which kind of hops?

Well, if I were partial mashing this...

I'd steep the crystal 40 and just add pale malt extract to my target OG - 17.3 plato (about 1.068).

I use beersmith to calculate the IBUs but I'm pretty sure you can find the IBU calculations if you do a search in these forums.

BYO's clone (AG)
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA Clone
5 gallons - all-grain

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.018
IBU = 70
SRM = 11
ABV = 7.2%

Ingredients

14 lbs pale malt
11 oz caramel malt (60 degrees L)

1.2 oz of 14% AA Magnum hops (60 mins)