Centennial, or Columbus SMaSH??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I just made the wasp brew, AKA Amarillo SMaSH with (DUH) Amarillo hops, 2 row, and US-05.

I want to get a few other opinions on which to make next?

Columbus??
or
Centennial??

Which would you make?

I am using 10 lbs of 2 row and US-05 again.

i've made both. both are delicious. Columbus seems more fruity and seemed to take a little longer for the flavors to meld. But then again, Centennial kind of acted the same.

so no help here.

I would go columbus.

When I think of a "smash", I see it as "what if?" type of deal. In my mind I can imagine pretty well what the centennial would taste like. I feel like I wouldn't gain much. Just because I've had enough beers that are mainly 2-row and centennial. Have a tougher time picturing the Columbus one. Feels like I would learn something by that.

On the other hand, I think centennial is "safer". So depends on what you're going for.... :)

Ok, so I ordered another 10 lbs of 2 row so i can do one of each.

Damn, now i will have 5 gallons of each, Amarillo, Columbus, and Centennial. WooHooo! Time for a SMaSH party!

I say Centennial, as it has a lot more diverse aroma properties. The columbus may be a little to potent to have all the way through in significant quantities, unless you're making a super high grav beer.

I loooove Centennial.

I did a centennial Smash a month ago, it's great. It was the same grain bill too, 10# two row. I'd highly recommend it. One of my favorite brews so far.

Back